Do I need a safety device?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckelloggjr

I have a device that activates the brake if/when radio contact is lost. I cannot maintain radio contact WITH the device. I have removed it and I have no more trouble. Also, when I turn off the transmitter (simulating loss of radio contact, the throttle closes, and everything comes to a rest. WHY DO I NEED THIS SAFETY CUT-OFF DEVICE?

Thanks,

ckellogg

Yes, but as I said, the throttle closes when contact is lost. This should prevent run aways, right?

ck

The theory is to keep the truck from being able to run away full throttle under no control. Generally, the truck will stop anyway, but it does happen from time to time that the truck remains wide open (or at whatever point the throttle was at when communication was lost), in which case, you won't catch it until either it hits something that makes it stop (could be expensive), or until it runs out of gas (not very likely to happen before you hit something unless you're on the salt flats...lol).

To be more direct, you don't NEED it. It's a matter of preference in avoiding the before mentioned issue.

yep thats what its for .. what r u having problems w/ ?

I am going across an open field, and the throttle will cut in and out. When it cuts back IN, the truck likes to flip over! I did notice that it will continue to steer at all times. I removed the "inline" device (btw, what is it called?), and the problem disappeared!

ck

Called a "fail-safe." Did you follow the instructions that came with it for setting it up properly, and are you sure that all of your connections are solid? Just a few things you can check...

I am going across an open field, and the throttle will cut in and out. When it cuts back IN, the truck likes to flip over! I did notice that it will continue to steer at all times. I removed the "inline" device (btw, what is it called?), and the problem disappeared!

ck

if you have steering response while you have these throttle issues, then it's doubtful it's your signal...sounds more like something on your truck itself...faulty receiver...maybe faulty throttle servo...short in your throttle servo wires...maybe it's something mechanical, like your throttle linkage sticking...

if you have steering response while you have these throttle issues, then it's doubtful it's your signal...sounds more like something on your truck itself...faulty receiver...maybe faulty throttle servo...short in your throttle servo wires...maybe it's something mechanical, like your throttle linkage sticking...

I spent hours trying to figuire this out on one of my trucks.

As Komo said, the linkage or possilble the throttle bodie is sticking.

Mine was hangn up on the spur gear nut. :duh:

Probably one of those things...there is also another very small chance it could actually also be that your carb is leaking air somewhere, which would account for erratic behavior as well. Been there, had that problem. Changed the carb and all was well.

My only concern with these suggestions is that when I removed the fail-safe device, I had zero further problems. My question is, am I courting disaster in running without the fail-safe? It seems to me that it is OK.

ck

My only concern with these suggestions is that when I removed the fail-safe device, I had zero further problems. My question is, am I courting disaster in running without the fail-safe? It seems to me that it is OK.

ck

I have a Spring on my Carb, gives a better feeling when racing. But it also if the battery dies or the radio dies it will yank the carb back closed.

I have a Spring on my Carb, gives a better feeling when racing. But it also if the battery dies or the radio dies it will yank the carb back closed.

I dunno if I'd count on the return spring...it is meant to be overpowered by the servo, which, when powered off, doesn't turn very easily...

try resetting your failsafe...making sure you have fresh batteries (or a fully charged hump pack)...

I've been doing this hobby for a long time and my first car was a tamiya grasshopper. I can still remember to this day when that thing got crushed by a Cadillac because my servos batteries ran dead and it took off right out under that land whale. From then on out I ran rechargeables batteries and I just charge them every 8 to 10 runs and forget about it. If you don't have a battery life life light on your truck which I don't get a venom 1200mah pack or any brand and run a new harness so you don't have to take the lid off the truck and plug your charger in and twenty minutes later your pack is peaked and no worries. Don't get me wrong fail safes are a great product but with some rigor of keeping your batteries charged IMO they aren't needed and a PITA...I'm not preachin just like the KISS idea...:40:

Latest posts

Members online

Back