Difference between Savage 25 and savage X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero

can anyone tell me wats the difference between 25 and X. thnx

the X is the newer version, with bigger motor, beefier arms, some adjustability options (upper arms for camber, tie rods for toe-in) lower center of gravity chassis, and much nicer battery box (more room, pass thru available for a rechargable hump pack, and optional battery level indicator)

other than that, I think any other differences are purely cosmetic...

part wise are they compatible?

i was thinking getting truckzilla conversion

http://www.rcplanet.com/hot_bodies_truckzilla_w_51128_prd1.htm

some parts will fit both savage chassis but the X also has different gearboxes front and rear, the so called easy acces gearboxes.
if you have to do maintanance on your diffs then you will only have to remove 6 screws to acces the diffs, with the S25 or the `old` chassis you almost have to take the entire chassis apart.
the X also has different suspension arms, tranny case, radio box as described in a previous post, TVP`s and rollbar.
the difference in the s25 engine and the F4.1 is not the displacement, both engines are 4.1 CC or .25 cu in.
the F4.1 has 2.75 HP against 2.5 HP for the s25 engine.
shortly said, the X has more power, more speed, better handling and much easier accessability at the gearboxes, tranny case and radiobox.

I don`t know how compatible the sav X is with the truckzilla mod.

the truckzilla conversion should work just fine...the mounting points for the front end, rear end, engine and transmission all are the same...the only things that come with the truckzilla conversion is the engine, chassis, rear driveline, and wheels, if you get the full package (i think it also comes with a different clutch)

in any case, you shouldn't have any insurmountable issues...i think... :D

other differences include...

the axles are not left and right hand threaded... they are all normally threaded, also the X has as standard 17mm hex hubs not the smaller ones, although does come with the smaller ones if you want to retrospectively fit old rims.

The x also has a different spur gear, i mention this as it seems to be a source of frustration for X owners. It has a dual slipper clutch mount. some say the new easy access tranny is too thin and can flex at high speeds or torque causing a missmatch of gear mesh with the clutch bell, causing stripping of spur gears that appears to be more common in the X. THis may be true as the new savage x kit comes with a tranny that has extra webbing for strength.

The shock towers as mentioned are unique to the x, as the bumper mounting arms lock into a new hole in the side of the towes.

as the suspension arms are changed to be stronger, the mounting position for the shocks changes, and a different plug for the screw is needed to fit standard shocks to an X.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the low centre gravity chassis. The X chassis is lower by 5mm, howevere there is apparently some evidence to support it having a weak spot that can break just behind the etched "X" near the front.

none of the abovementioned items are cosmetic, but in my opinion, the nicest looking body is the prepainted gt2 x body with the tribal graphix. the warlock rims are very tidy aswell.

ooh just remembered the x has the rotostart 2 version!

regards

Adam

I agree with the easy acces tranny case problem, I got one on my SS 4.6 and it flexes indeed, when new everything fitted perfectly but after running it for a couple of times I can move the central shaft (the one you can take out when opened) back and forth by 2-3 mm.
I already got a brand new pre-assembled 3-speed with the old tranny case on the shelf.

only problem is that according to the HPI parts list of the X RTR the part number is 85052:http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=85052

the parts list of the XSS shows the exact same part number:http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=85052

I know from my own experience that this easy acces gearbox is worthless when you`re using bigger engines.
according to the overview the XSS has an improved gearbox but the part number is exactly the same.
maybe they want to replace the bad one with the good one without changing the part number but how will I know when I buy the re-inforced type or the old chocolate type?
maybe the LHS has 20 of the old type in stock which they want to get rid of before they sell the re-inforced type, if you know what I mean.
as long as HPI doesn`t sell it as a separate part number the chance is that you`re thinking to buy a new one and you`re getting the old chocolate type instead.
as long as I`m not sure what type I get when I order part number 85052 they can shove it to a certain place which I`m not gonna describe any further and I`ll stick with the non-easy acces type.
I strongly advise against this tranny case with a .46 engine because the K4.6 is already too much for this tranny case.

for the weak points in the X TVP`s you might wanna check the fastlane LCG TVP`s.
I picked up a set 2 weeks ago and the guy who sold them to me said they fit the X as well.
send a mail to fastlane to be sure.
they were also cheaper than the stock TVP`s, stock ones cost 59 euro, the fastlanes cost 49 euro incl motorplate and the center of gravity goes down around 12 mm more than the stock X TVP`s.
I can easily bend stock TVP`s with my hands but not the fastlanes.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the low centre gravity chassis. The X chassis is lower by 5mm, howevere there is apparently some evidence to support it having a weak spot that can break just behind the etched "X" near the front.

actually, I did...but since you mentioned sooooooooo many more things that I missed, I'll let it slide ;) LOL

so as we say savage X and savage 25 parts are interchangeable? i wanna get Savage X chassis and or Adjustable arms stuff like that. also i want savage x ss Engine.

wat do i need?

I would go with the X SS chassis as HPI updated them to be stronger than the standard X chassis. The only modifcation that you will have to do is the engine plate cross braces will need to be dremeled out where the center rear dogbone will run; the rest of the stuff you listed above- just needs to be assembled on your truck.

or you can pick up the factory savage X engine cross braces pretty cheap on ebay...

but yes, the adjustable arms and chassis, and engine will all work in your truck...

thnx! k0m0d067!

wat do u think is it worth it to get Savage X chassis and arms? any other good part to swap u guys recommend?

or get Fast lane heavy duty chassis and leave the rest stock...

basically all i want to change all the weak pieces.

specially those rear tie rods always pops out alot. recommendation would be great.

So far i upgraded:

Steering saver aluminium
Gas Tank gaurd
Hitec servo 645
and 6v batter hump pack

here pic of my savage!

2006_0412saageanother20008.jpg

2006_0412saageanother20005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thnx! k0m0d067!

wat do u think is it worth it to get Savage X chassis and arms? any other good part to swap u guys recommend?

or get Fast lane heavy duty chassis and leave the rest stock...

basically all i want to change all the weak pieces.

specially those rear tie rods always pops out alot. recommendation would be great.

So far i upgraded:

Steering saver aluminium
Gas Tank gaurd
Hitec servo 645
and 6v batter hump pack

I would keep your current arms or get RPM arms, as for the chassis that is what your prefer, but FLM does have a warranty on their parts (a little to bling for me; I like IRC myself).
For your tierods always poping, put some washers on the screws that hold the tierods to the truck (bulkheads-hubs)

alloy bulks are nice, cuz if you break the plastic ones, it's a pain to replace them...

BAH!! the plastic arms will break before the alloy bulk will...and they're cheap to replace, and alot easier than tearing the rig down to the diffs, to change the bulks...

Once again thnx alot for the replies and recommendation. RPM product look pretty tough plastic. i might get them plus their pretty much same price as stock ARM but stronger. i was talking to some guy who owns a savage and he spent 3g's and i couldnt believed it. i was like dang 3g that like almost a turbo kit on my real car. sorry i miss drag racing LOL btw this is my winter project to keep me busy while waiting for next season of drag racing here in vancouver canada.

... he said its bullet proof.

RPM product look pretty tough plastic. i might get them plus their pretty much same price as stock ARM but stronger.

Where are you finding a set of RPM arms for the same price as stock? :scratch: The cheapest I have been able to find the RPM is $45 USD to do the whole truck.

Where are you finding a set of RPM arms for the same price as stock? :scratch: The cheapest I have been able to find the RPM is $45 USD to do the whole truck.

our local dealer store sells them under 20 bux pair.

as far as i have seen 1 rpm arm is the same price as a pair of stock ones

Right the RPM prices seem to be between 11-15 USD per wheel, I have found a few Ebay sellers that have a full set of stock arms, all 4 upper and lower arms for 9.99 USD

I'm getting them for sure. seen it in person the quality is just unbelieveable for plastic.

RPM is a great product and they also have a warranty. I might have you get some of those for me hero if you are getting them at 40 bucks to do the whole truck.

I have both the ss x and the x. i hate the f4.1 and the 4.6 is so so. I have the 1/6th scale New era kit on the x with a nitrous injected cen .46. I haven't had any real issues with the gear box on the x. I wouldn't get the 1/6th kit from any company but it is your money. you have a great bashing truck if you do the 1/6th kit you have a show truck. It isn't worth it. the only time i have stripped a spur was when i was shearing off engine mount screws. i'm running a 52/20 ratio now and it is holding up pretty good. the hp rating for the 4.6 is 1.2 hp for the 4.6 ho it is 1.36hp that is from nitrodyne. they are the standard and most engine makers are running there dyno including extreme rc magazine. you can get a sts .30 for around 130.00 and it will smoke any stock hpi engine and a few big name engine companies. but then again i could be just lucky with the savage x tranny case. i did replace the bearings with steel bearings. but to each there own and everyone has different opinions and ideas of what makes there truck cool. that is what makes the hobby fun. see what you can do to trick out your truck.
http://www.nitrodynesystems.com/Engine Database.htm
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/megair/rc/?action=view&current=IM000848.flv

Latest posts

Members online

Back