Diff Question - Is the Savage Manual Wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzman

Ok so in the process of changing the diff output cups in one of my trucks from 11mm to 9mm, and the crown from 29 to 43t but when looking at the exploded view of the diff in the HPI manuals there has to be a mis-print. If you look at the O ring & shim washer they are the wrong way round. The O rings sit in the recesses in the inside of the crown wheel and the inside of the diff case then the diff shims go on next followed by the 2 large gears which mate to the 4 planetary gears. But according to the manual it shows the shims going next to the crown wheel and case then the O rings then the Gears. You can even see the recess in the crown wheel for the O ring to sit in on the diagram below.
Someone please tell me I'm right and not being a burk and miss something here.

1677870433095.jpeg

Hi mate that’s how I rebuilt mine & did find them quite tight when made up, think I showed you when you popped round to see what you thought?

Well it would appear the manual is wrong, Have just opened up a brand new diff and the O rings & shims are in the other way round to what the manual shows. The O rins do sit in the recesses which was obvious, next goes on the shim then the pin followed by the gear.

Sorry distracted tonight, yes your correct that way round, although isn’t the ID of shim bigger then diameter of o ring?

That exploded view is obviously wrong, in this Flux GTXL-1 version you can see how the o'rings are in the correct order. I don't understand how they manage to do this wrong when all the diffs are the same in the savage line, all they have to do is copy/paste and change codes between sintered ang forged gears... I mean, for someone with basic knowledge and common sense this mistake is irrelevant, but for beginners might be a headacheflux.jpg

That exploded view is obviously wrong, in this Flux GTXL-1 version you can see how the o'rings are in the correct order. I don't understand how they manage to do this wrong when all the diffs are the same in the savage line, all they have to do is copy/paste and change codes between sintered ang forged gears... I mean, for someone with basic knowledge and common sense this mistake is irrelevant, but for beginners might be a headacheView attachment 11206
Yer somehow they got it right in the Flux manuals and wrong in the Nitro model ones. Got the Savage Flux HP manual and it's right in that one to.

1677880491850.png

Agreed I've built many diffs on many cars and just rebuilt the savage diffs in a 2nd hand savage I recently got. Manual is wrong haha... Good catch.

Latest posts

Members online

Back