Denatured Alcohol and other solvents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoPsycho

Denatured Alcohol (dē-nā' chƏr d)
(Basically a grain or corn based Alcohol)

Denatured alcohol is often mentioned in nitro RC forums for use as a solvent.

This begs the question, what exactly is denatured alcohol?

It is simply Ethyl Alcohol or Ethanol, (Yes, the same as your car fuel additive) + any number of chemical additives to make it non-potable (non-drinkable).

In a nutshell, it is Granddad's ol' moonshine. There is a catch though, it has been chemically infused with a poisonous chemical that makes it unfit for human consumption, and possibly very dangerous to the nervous system and liver.

WEAR GLOVES!!

Methanol
(Originally a wood based Alcohol, but now synthetically made from methane gas in coal)

Methanol was originally produced by distilling wood. Today, Methanol is produced by mixing methane gas, steam, and pressure, and then running the mixture over a catalyst.
Methanol is naturally poisonous as it is a petroleum based product, and is one of the componets commonly used to denature ethanol.

Methanol is commonly used as a laboratory solvent.

Methanol is very dangerous to the nervous system and liver.

WEAR GLOVES!!

Isopropyl Alcohol
(A coal seam gas based Alcohol)

Let me say first, this IS NOT an acceptable solvent for nitro engine parts use.

Isopropyl alcohol is made from the same gas produced in coal seams that propane is derived from (Propylene) that is combined with water. This creates 100% Isopropyl Alcohol.

The type of Isopropyl Alcohol available to you is "Rubbing Alcohol" which is Isopropyl Alcohol at around a 70% strength, with an added 30% water.

Water + Nitro= NOT GOOD!

There it is all layed out for us .... thanx Moto ...

Gallon can of denatured alcohol can be had at the Home Depot for abut 14 beans ..lasts a long time ...

I can only get (off ebay) Isopropyl Alcohol. I 've been using the 70% stuff that moto described, but I haven't had any issues with rust or anything. The guy I get it from also sells it at a much higher %, I forget now, but it was something like 95%. I will try that next time.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back