Cuts off when I hit brakes......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the first vid your idle is too rich so it's cuts off when brakes are applied. Lean it out some, didn't watch the second vid, I will though.

Lol stupid question but to lean it out I turn it inwards right? I haven't tuned in such a long time....and with band with "sharp" and "flat" it cinfuses me, I know on the HS its in for leaner and out for richer....thanks

Lol stupid question but to lean it out I turn it inwards right? I haven't tuned in such a long time....and with band with "sharp" and "flat" it cinfuses me, I know on the HS its in for leaner and out for richer....thanks

Adjust your trim so the throttle is in more too. I shouldn't move when you apply brakes. Yes turn it clockwise to lean it and vise versa.

OK I will turn my trim down all the way, I have to give it gas to get it to start up, I will try and get it running tomorrow....cant drive WOT WITHOUT BRAKES!!! I tried it and ran into our fence behind the vid camera.....luckily I cought the corner and it just did a 260 degree turn and a flip...was still running to! Thanks for the help fx!

it could be the idle screw, carb stop, that is not set correct, apply brakes may close throttle too much and stall engine.

check carb gap between neutral throttle and brake, to see if it closes.

OK I adjusted the idle screw today and it works better than it was....i can hit the brakes and hold it for a few seconds ( maybe 5-10 ) before it cuts off. I had to turn the screw in about 4-5 turns but it runs better. I will need to get stiffer clutche springs smoetime soon. Thanks for the help guys

Leaning you LSN a bit will help it idle longer without cutting out just like Fxstrongside said. Turn it in 1/16 turn at a time untill it will idle but you still get a good puff of blue smoke when you punch the throttle..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running the Axial .28 with 2 Mugen shoes with Mugen 1.0 springs and 1 stock carbon shoe and .8 spring. Seems to be holding up well so far.

You know SJ I saw that video today.....i don't have that big or an area tho!

You need to adjust your throttle linkage! It should be 90° coming off your linkage from the LSN.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7796389461016241921

I'm thinking it might be my return spring, clutches or my tuning is just way off......let me know what you guys think.

Another Video of wheelies:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7021078748149287832

It sounds rich to me too, if leaning it doesn't help or even if it does, it is a god idea to check your gap in the carb, to do this remove your air filter and tube so you can see down inside your carb, there is a slide that should move between fully open (with full throttle) and with brakes or idle it should be 1mm (on a hpi 4.6 ) Actually when you let off the trigger the gap should be the same as it is when you apply the brakes, if it isn't check your linkage, back to the gap when fully closed the gap, well on the hpi 4.6 mill's they say it should be 1mm open, this is adjusted with the idle screw. I would ask sts what the gap should be set at on their motors, it may be in there manual. Once you know what the gap should be set to just adjust the idle screw till it is correct.

Hope that helps,

John

Set idle carb needle a little higher, on you first video i can see when you hit brake it will close the throtle .Need to set the linkage too.
When you hit your brake carb throtle should stay still at idle position(no moving)

Latest posts

Members online

Back