Cross threaded spring perch on HPI aluminum shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firedcylinder

Hello all, this is my first post so don't be too brutal to me please. :D

I got a used set of HPI aluminum shocks for my XS, and after rebuilding them with new shafts and seals, I found one of the spring perches was cross threaded pretty badly near the top of the shock. Any ideas on how to break it loose without stripping the threads?

Other than this the shocks perform flawlessly with 80wt oil and the HPI sway bar set.

108169_108169_01p_800_600.jpg

I tried to get a picture of the one I have but it doesn't look cross threaded in any of the pictures I was able to take. This image is taken from HPIs website. I've circled the problem area in this picture.

well I know what a threaded shock looks like to be sure, but :eyes: your problem would be easier to see if there is a clear picture.... try putting the shock against a white background possibly help to see better, at any rate you can try gently moving it with a ragwrapped pair of pliers maybe, if it don't move easy maybe a bit of lube on the threaded part will help

Last edited:
I tried using a vice to hold it and ended up crushing it a bit. I've ordered new shocks. Thanks for the help!

should have known right off putting a hollow alloy tube in a vice would be sure to ruin it......

Latest posts

Members online

Back