Clutch works

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rikkidy

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts/pics about clutches.
There seems to be a ton to know about the subject.

I run a stock flywheel with 3 alloy shoes on with medium springs holding them down... I use the same setup on most all my nitro rigs and they last and last.....

I put a set on one of mine yesterday and they seemed like some kind of plastic.
I don't think they will last.
I ordered some stock alloy's today

Yup, it fits all of the Savage models out there except the octane....

Yup, I have read somewhere about a clutch like the one you linked, but in truth they are only good for racing in competition, I am cheap and the stock alloy clutch works just fine for what I do......I just cant justify the cost vs performance gain in buying something like that.... Maybe something like this one would fit you needs and desires....

http://bukupower.com/Clutch.aspx

ABK-H.jpg
ABK-H Heavy Aluminum Komposite Shoes are recommended for most 1/8th Monster Truck Applications. The Heavy aluminum shoe backer will deliver more torque than the standard 1/8th ABK shoe and is better suited to heavy vehicles with high powered motors.

BBK.jpg
BBK 1/8th Scale Brass Bonded Komposite Shoes provide a VERY aggressive torque delivery (300% more torque than a standard 1/8th scale clutch). As a result we do not recommend running 1/8th BBK shoes unless your drive train contains 100% metal gearing. Plastic gears anywhere in the drive-train, including the transmission, will most likely fail prematurely. If you do have a 100% metal upgraded drive-train then the 1/8th BBK shoes deliver unequaled performance and are the ultimate for very high powered motors.

ABK.jpg
ABK Stock Weight Aluminum Bonded Komposite Shoes are compatible with 1/8th Monster trucks and are recommend for conditions where controlling wheelies and acceleration is important, especially in limited traction.

I

Thanx Jam that was an exellent link and had exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get into this thread.

You forgot that those those clutches don't work on the electric savages either Jam. :p. Lol

Best clutch setup used to be and still is if you can find them, the Nova RC clutch shoes . They are sadly out of business now. Those clutch shoes gave you the ability to put weights in the them to further adjust at what RPM and how hard they hit the clutch bell. They were very well made and durable. Typically you use the Mugen engine nut and Mugen 1.0 or 1.1 springs with them.

I saw those as well Griff. Only issue there is I don't think they will fit the stock flywheel, as there are 4 shoes.

Completely missed that one. Haha. Pitfalls of viewing this stuff on a phone.

They look like my Nova shoes and the kit that came with them, I assume they are correct.

They remind me of the set I won years ago and are still buried with all my other RC stuff I will be glad when I finally get time to get my ducks in a row.

I've seen that Jr. Always wondered how well that did, good to know before I wasted my money. I have a Werks exhaust setup that was a severe disappointment as well.

Well to be fair the werks clutch was made for 1/8 buggies not for trucks.... but most things from werks racing seemd to be pretty poor performers.... I will stick with my 3 shoe alloy setup I have used for many years without too many problems with them.....

I've seen that Jr. Always wondered how well that did, good to know before I wasted my money. I have a Werks exhaust setup that was a severe disappointment as well.

I bought it because I was afraid of clutch springs lol... I could never get the lock but to stay put, even with red locktite

And now, 8 years later, I just changed a clutch in ten minutes lol

Latest posts

Members online

Back