clutch burning savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gene8a

hello, i have a savage truck i converted from a 4.6 to a flux. everything fit to well but now its burning the spur gear clutch.
I'm using all stock parts on the truck except for tires BIG JOES 3.8 on all 4. a new mamba monster x with a 2250kv uncensored motor. the truck must weigh around 15 to 20 pounds.I'm running on two 50c 3 cell LiPos to total 6 cells.
the spur gear is also stock @ 52T the pinion gear is metal at 16T.
i would appreciate some expert advice on a new ceramic clutch pad and maybe different size gears. to run cooler but still have enough power and speed.
thank you all before hand. pic included in post

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_d3b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_d3b.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 16
If I'm seeing it right the LiPo battery in the truck in that picture looks super swelled. If it is I'd toss that REAL quick before you got a barbecue going

Yes they were. Thank you for the heads up. They have been disposed of.

What actually is burning, the friction pad?

Have you tightened the slipper nut all the way?

Tried different gear ratios if this was the cause of swelling lipos?

1585397201893.png

Yep make sure to crank that slipper nut all the way down. You want no slip. Any slip and you will cook it.
Also make sure theres no binding anywhere else in the drivetrain. Any binding will just add to the problem, make sure everything spins nice and free

Thank you all for your advice I will try that new gear set up. And the nut has been tight but I guess it comes loose with the torque. I will also check everything to be spinning nice and smooth. ???

What transmission are you using? Nitro 2-speed that's locked into 2nd gear or a flux single speed trans?

I run a super 5sc trans with center diff in mine with 750K oil in it and it does ok on 6S with the MMX/2200kv system in it 16/48 gearing and 3.8" trenchers. Originally I ran 4S on it with a stock trans, but went with the center diff one to help my ring/pinions last longer. I busted 3 or 4 pinion gears in my diffs on rough landings. Also, the center diff made it a lot easier to drive by calming the wheelies down.

Hi olds97_lss, how is 750000 cst oil on the center differential? I think it's near like not having the differential, because of that high viscosity, isn't it? I used 30000 cst oil on the center differential of my mt4 G3 and yes, it seems too loose, but i think that 750000 cst is like.. Welding the gears ahahah!

Actually, I probably could go a bit higher now that I'm running 6S. It still unloads to the front tires if I'm heavy on the throttle. The first time I ran 6S in it with the set of 3.8" trenchers on it I was running with 4S, I blew the front tires off the wheels within 5 minutes. So it was definitely bleeding a lot of power to the front tires spinning in the air. I've since wrapped them with 3mm kevlar cored cord like my outcast trenchers and ERBEv2 trenchers. While that limits in air control, it keeps the tires from blowing off the rim or getting damaged. So I live with the fact thta I can't do triple backflips. Double is plenty for me. ;)

This is the last time I ran it, you can see how it reacts:

I don't run 6S because i tried it and i don't like, the truck is not driveable. I run only 4S, no problems with the original tires for now.. I think i will try 300000 on the center diff, i've just ordered the center diff complete set from rc4me.it. How many cst do you have in front and rear diff? I have 30000 cst.

I don't run 6S because i tried it and i don't like, the truck is not driveable. I run only 4S, no problems with the original tires for now.. I think i will try 300000 on the center diff, i've just ordered the center diff complete set from rc4me.it. How many cst do you have in front and rear diff? I have 30000 cst.
50K in the front/rear seems to work ok for what I do. 300K in the center is going to feel pretty light on 4S, well depending on your tires. I started with 75%/25% 500k/200k in it when I was running 4S. It was too light for me, would diff out pretty easy on throttle.

No center diff - 4S:

75%/25% 500k/200k - 4S

75%/25% 500k/1M in center - 4S

75%/25% 500k/1M in center - 6S

Now i have only the original tires. I think i'll buy 4 proline trencher someday, but not for now. I'll try this 300000 oil and we'll see. Thank you for your support!

Latest posts

Members online

Back