Clutch bell play

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rody

This weekend as I was putting my Savage 25 through it's paces (yay, it's running!), I noticed that there was a lot of play in my clutch bell. I'm using an HPI 14 tooth racing clutch. It looks like the bolt holding the clutch assembly in has worn through the brass spacer, but no problem I have spare spacers. So I popped a new spacer on, and there is still a lot of play. I have clutch shims, but it would take an awful lot of shims to tighten it up. I ended up putting on a washer that would fit on to it to tighten it up. So I have 2 questions.

1. Should there be that much play? I'm running basically a stock setup, and it just seems odd that the clutch bell moves around so much.

2. Does the brass spacer wear down pretty quickly? I have more spacers, but I never heard of the spacers wearing down.

Thanks everyone.

When I put the Savage 20t on my T-Maxx with a Axial .28 on it I had a lot of play in the CB. I cut off the excess crank with my drimmel tool and now there is little to no play.

yes the brass spacer wears quickly . the question i have is , is the shim that goes under the clutch bell ontop of the nut that holds the flywheel on there . that could be the reason for the excess play. when you run out of brass spacers there is a trick that can be done.

Here is a trick I have been using for years and never had any issues with it. Fuel tubing lol, just make sure that the bell spins free on the shaft or it may damage the clutch bearings due to side loading. Just cut it to length and use a flat washer with the end screw to hold it on.

DSC03257.jpg

nice idea purenitro,, thats why i like the plastic collars that come with alot of other engines it doesnt get worn and all out of shape like the brass one and has kept everything tight for me with just a slight bit of play!! so essentially what you showed is pretty much the same idea is it not?

Not sure I have seen the plastic collars but I'm sure it's the same thing if I understand you right, either way that brass washer is something they should have ditched after the first batch of savages lol, good old hpi.

thats what i figured, only difference is you use fuel tubing! lol i just happen to find one of the plastic collars in my parts bag and love it!!

Great trick purenitro. I'll keep that in mind, for one this brass spacer gets worn. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back