click noise when spinning flywheel by hand ? savage x 4.6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

hi guys i have a hpi savage x 4.6 and sadly i got into a crash the other day so i got some repairs to do. today i took the glow plug out and just spun the flywheel and i noticed there seems to be a click noise when I spin the flywheel by hand. It seems like the piston comes to the top and then on the way back down, at the same time it makes that “pop” compression noise it makes a click. I don’t think I ever heard this noise before and I kinda moved the truck a bit and tried to see if it would go away but couldn’t figure it out. Everytime I spin the flywheel it seems to click at the same time it makes the “pop” noise. i wanted to add that the click noise sounds way louder in the video.

Is this normal and is the engine still runnable? The last time I drove it it ran perfectly fine and didn’t notice anything wrong

heres a link to the video of the noise
imgur.com/a/TfEoMBN
click noise

Thanks!

That’s normal. There’s a pin that sits on a spring on the bottom of your con rod that constantly pushes against the starter shaft on your back plate. It’s meant to spin freely one way (witch makes the clicking noise) but when you spin the starter shaft the other direction it catches the pin and that’s what allows your pull start/roto start to turn the engine over and when it fires up and is running it’s not having to constantly spin the starter shaft draining a ton of power. Although it’s still making contact with that starter shaft the entire time it’s running witch does create power loss essentially and that’s why most race engines are not pull start or roto start they have sealed back plates so there’s nothing causing any friction and the conrod is completely free to cycle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back