cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillhunter

i have a 4.6 and a sweet hooby room but my dad has 2 heli's that he keeps clean as a whistle. he is a total clean freak and wants me to clean my truck better and more often. He has a little pedestal thing to display the choppers and also has one for the truck but he wants it to be clean if its going to stay in the hobby room. I thought of using brake clean but will it hurt anything,(like servo's or receiver) same with water????? got any tips on this:( :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't remember if it's either brake cleaner or carb cleaner...Whichever one doesn't leave residue. Also the LHS should carry some stuff called Nitro Blast(pretty much just a pressurized can of denatured alcohol).

I've heard of alot of people using (simple green?) half and half with water, scrubbing it down and then drying it with a compressor. They say it works real well.

There is some other stuff called speed wash its pink in a spray bottle works great, not much scubbbing needed, spray it on let it soak for a coupl emin then hose it off. Best thing to do first is if you have a air compressor or access to one blow it off, then wash it down. If my dad was like that I would keep my truck in my room.

Oh one more thing about that speed wash it will take the finish off the rims, it will work on full sizes car too but same thing takes finish off the rims don't ask me how I know.

thanks for the help!! my dad really isn,t a jerk about it but he thinks that if i don't keep it clean than i don't care about it as much as he does. I would keep it at my house but i have 3 kids that like to get into things and i wouldn't want them to start messing with it. Will water hurt my servo's or receiver???? thanks!:eek:

Water will hurt the radio and receiver they are electronics. Don't just blast with water, I use either a big cup or the kitchen faucet sprayer turned on low, and hose down the control arms, under the skids plates, the front end rear end, where ever the dirt is the worst. I hardly ever clean or wash mine, I just take my air compressor to it ever once in a while.

i usally blow mine off with the air compressor. i sometimes spray it down with denatured alchahol too. it really cleans it good. and it dosent hure it. the only thing to be creful about id the bearings, it can dry them out. i usally don't do anything to the reciever or servos, i don't cover them but i don't directly spray them either. the cover is on the radio so it stays pretty clean.

Brake cleaner works really good and it's cheap. Carb cleaner can damage plastic parts and leaves a residue. I use brake cleaner on my Savage 21. It removes the grit and grim left over from the nitro. Oh and I have not had any problems with it hurting the servos...... Rick

thats cool cause i can get free brake clean from work but i was just worried about it hurting my expensive stuff!!:)

When using brake cleaner make sure it is non chlorinated or it will cause damage. If chlorinated .the cheaper the brake cleaner the better.

i take out all my radio gear etc and give it a hose down. gets the worst off and makes it easier to give a decent clean later. toothbrushes are invaluable!

wow

:confused:

Wow... well to each their own but I personally would not use or recommend chlorinated or non chlorinated brake cleaner or any form of carb cleaner to be used on anything that has nylon/plastic/lexan/rubber on it.

I use a a mix of simple green, denatured alcohol and a small portion of wd40.

1 part simple green
1 part denatured alcohol
1 - 2 cap fulls of wd40

Put in spray bottle, swish around. Done.

well

Carb cleaner I'm not even going to bother trying to explain why its bad. Just don't use it on anything for your truck.

Chlorinated brake cleaner on the other hand. It will eat plastic, rubber and will corrode most metals. If thats not the least of your worries it contains Perchloroethylene Which has been proven to cause nervous system and liver + kidney damage just for starters.

It also contains Methylene Chloride which is carcinogenic, can cause cancer and is used in certain aspects to weld plastic together.

Non chlorinated brake cleaner came along, which removed most of the unhealthy stuff above only to replace it with more unhealthy stuff like the following.

Acetone - You guys should know this stuff. You probably used it to remove paint at one time or another, or stole your wife/girlfriends nail polish remover thinking you can unglue that wobbly pair of big joe's. Acetone while it is used to make plastic, will eat/weaken plastic and rubber if applied after its formation. It also causes liver damage.

Toluene/methylbenzene - This is a solvent for the most part, it will dissolve paints, glues, and rubber over time. Repeated exposure has been linked to brain damage.

Not all damage is caused instantly guys. Plastic, aluminum, and rubber exposed over a period of time to these chemicals will weaken their state. Either by microscopic pitting or actually removing moisture from nylon based products over time causing them to go brittle.

ALL these cleaners including the simple green / denatured alcohol / wd40 that I use will pull any grease/lube out of your bearings, so please take special care when spraying around them or make sure to lube them frequently.

This information is posted so people here can make an educated decision on what you want to use to clean your truck. I honestly don't care if you use a stick with monkey turd on it. People will use what works best for them. But please know what you are using.

Yes brake kleen works well I usually blow mine off with the compresser then spray with wd40 I let it soak a few then blow and wipe off the residue. that works good and the plastic seems to soak in the oils and makes old parts look like new

Latest posts

Members online

Back