cdi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nothinbetr2do

hi all. i just installed my last cdi to keep my octane running, seems i use one up about every 6 months or so(depending on run time) anyway, i was looking to get a few more. only ones i could find where one ebay, seller wants like $100 for 1. i don't want to pay that much. anybody know where i can get them cheaper? if not, has anyone figured out a good replacement for them? thanks

no, i haven't tried contacting hpi. figured they wouldn't do anything for me for warranty, and their not just giving free parts away(if they even have any more) my octane is like 2 years old now. I'm on my 4th and last cdi. need to find more or a good replacement to keep it running. is anyone else having the same problem with the cdi going bad? can't be just me, lol

i just went ahead an ordered one from hobbyking. from the links i posted above, i ordered the second one. as i wasn't sure on the plug size. acouple dollars more, no big deal. still alot cheap than the stock replacement. once i get it in and test it out, i'll report back

i had an old hpi cdi laying about, so i did a size comparison with the hobbyking one. the hobbyking is alittle bigger in width and thickness, but same length. haven't had a chance to test function yet, will report back when i do

well, back on topic. I'm charging the batts and while I'm in the radio box, I'm changing receivers. i bought a used futaba 4pl with 4 receivers, so this will give me a chance to try it out. also, the cdi kit i bought came with 2 different size timing sensors. i don't know if either will work, need to pull motor to find out. but could be and added bonus if 1 does

good news. the hobbyking cdi works good. takes alittle playing with stuff in the radio box to get it to fit, as its alittle bigger than the stock hpi cdi. and alittle more care with all the wires, but it does fit and works good. just ran my octane for 20 minutes with no problems. so no more high dollar hpi cdi's for me. i hope others will benefit from my findings. and also don't forget about the timing sensor also, i haven't tried either of them in the kit(need to take motor out and i don't feel like it. lol) if you guys do, please let me and others know. thanks

So, you used HPI's sensor? Did you have to do anything with the wiring to rewire it? F-Type mentioned a polarity issue I thought.

I used a completely different CDI that needed the signal inverted. But if I remember correctly it was still the HPI sensor I used, just inverted its signal.

3314S-1.jpg

So, you used HPI's sensor? Did you have to do anything with the wiring to rewire it? F-Type mentioned a polarity issue I thought.

yes, i used the hpi timing sensor. it was already installed and working, so didnt see the need to change it. the hobbyking kit comes with 2 of them in different sizes, i don't know if one of them will work or not. need to pull motor to find out, might get into it next weekend just to see if one of them will work. if i do, i will report back my findings. as for the hobbyking cdi, it's plug and play. no rewiring at all. and even though its alittle bigger than the stock hpi cdi, it still fits in the radio box with both stock battery packs and receiver. just need to be careful with the wires. i even have a pico switch in there, so i can kill the motor from my remote. so plenty of room

Ok what I was talking about the other day that you wanted me to spill the beans bout the octane ok here goes all parts for the octane are discontinued so what's out there that's it when there all bought up you have a 900$ piece of junk I had one I sent it back to get it fixed cause it was still in the 2 years of the warranty exactly 1 year they had no parts to fix it so they sent me a brand new hpi Baja 5 ss in its place so I don't know what everyone is bitching bout on the warranty they took care of mine with a better deal

Ok what I was talking about the other day that you wanted me to spill the beans bout the octane ok here goes all parts for the octane are discontinued so what's out there that's it when there all bought up you have a 900$ piece of junk I had one I sent it back to get it fixed cause it was still in the 2 years of the warranty exactly 1 year they had no parts to fix it so they sent me a brand new hpi Baja 5 ss in its place so I don't know what everyone is bitching bout on the warranty they took care of mine with a better deal

all good things must come to an end sooner or later, one thing gets fazed out and another takes it's place. nothing new there. been dealing with it in rc stuff for years, and in everything else in life. lol. i don't consider my octane junk, its one of the better savages i've had. just sucks that parts are getting harder to find. i didn't bitch or say anything bad about hpi's warranty, i knew my octane was past the warranty period. i said it was 2 years old, if you go back and read in the thread. only point of this thread was to figure out another off the shelf cdi that would work for the octane, and actually 2 where found and cheaper. so good thread. I'm glad for you that hpi took care of you and your happy with them. also cool they hooked you up with a baja 5b ss. i also like my baja 5t and b. i just also like my octane to, for its size and no dam nitro bs. lol.

Did they contact you to let you know before sending back the 5B? Go from a 4wd MT to a 2WD sand rail... Kind of like going to a dealer and asking for the big mudder 4x4 and them asking if you want a Camaro instead... I mean, both are nice rigs, but kind of apples and oranges.

After having a 5B... I would have opted for something else... or a refund.

I have a bunch of part I'm going to get rid of since I don't have the octane now

i just went ahead an ordered one from hobbyking. from the links i posted above, i ordered the second one. as i wasn't sure on the plug size. acouple dollars more, no big deal. still alot cheap than the stock replacement. once i get it in and test it out, i'll report back
HI do you have the part # for the CDI you used. I'm thinking mine has gone bad. I like to check it out

HI do you have the part # for the CDI you used. I'm thinking mine has gone bad. I like to check it out

if you scroll back up to post#6, i posted links. i got the second one, not knowing the plug size. but the first one will work for a 14mm plug and its cheap than the one i got. if i ever need another one, i will be ordering the first one

Latest posts

Members online

Back