can i lift the engine a little bit if my spur gear and clutch bell don't mesh?

pelicanprentice

ive got a savage x 4.6 and i picked up a 48t robinson spur gear and a 14t hardened clutch bell, i just tested the install a little bit (i wont get time till tomorrow to actually put it together) and it seems like the clutch bell is a tiny bit too small for the 48t spur gear. so i was wondering can i just put some type of spacers or something i find laying around under the engine mount bolts just to lift the engine a tiny bit so they mesh properly? or will this end up causing other fitment issue for other parts?

if its fine, do u have any recommendations on what to put under the engine mount just to raise the engine like 1mm?

thanks!!

pelicanprentice

Not sure raising will solve the issue, usually it's side-to-side, best get a larger clutch bell.
thanks for the reply! i think it will mesh fine, i test fitted it a few times and it was fine, not sure what to do with the brakes tho. i think it might hit the brake

tuneboy

I had the same issue, eventhough i am on 47T and 17T. My engine was all the way towards the gearbox but the contact was still not enought. So i also used some washers at the front mounts only, to raise it and give it a better angle. Worked like a charm

pelicanprentice

i think i got it, seems like the robinson 48t and the hpi hardened 14 clutch bell mesh fine.

i wanted to ask however, i got the mesh in what i feel like is perfect (when i have the clutch bell stopped, the spur gear only moves like half a mm in, and when i let go and spin it fast, it doesnt seem like theres any binding

however i am not sure if i have noticed this in the past but when i roll the truck forwards, it sounds normal, but when i roll it backwards, there seems to be a bit more gear noise. is this normal?

thx

Latest posts

Members online