Can I convert my 17mm hex to 14mm on my Savage X?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLISEON

hello guys I've been thinking on getting some new wheels for my savage x and I was thinking of the good old classic 6 spoke shiny / dirt bonz tires combo. But after some research I discovered they're only for 14mm hex. Is they're any way I could fit them on my 17mm hex wearing savage ?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4521.JPG
    IMG_4521.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 2
Yes you can and isee one side where if you have old wheels that are 14 mm that you would want to burn them up. But 17 mm are stronger like jam stated.

yes, although I have to wonder why you would want 14mm hexes, 17mm is stronger and there are tons of wheel tire combos available for the 17 mm sizes.....
Yes I get your curiosity of why I would want them. But you see I'm kind of a nostalgic guy. There's something about all the past savage wheel/tire combos that bring a smile to my face

Yes you can and isee one side where if you have old wheels that are 14 mm that you would want to burn them up. But 17 mm are stronger like jam stated.
Would do you mean by burn them up? Like make them stronger or do you mean that the power of the truck will burn the wheels loose ?

Not literally burn them up just was saying that if you had old wheels laying around and wanted to put them to use. I personally wouldn't buy a set of wheels thats 14 mm hexs for i know my trucks would make quick work of them .lol

Not literally burn them up just was saying that if you had old wheels laying around and wanted to put them to use. I personally wouldn't buy a set of wheels thats 14 mm hexs for i know my trucks would make quick work of them .lol
Haha yea I know not literally but I'll let you guys know how long the 14mms last on my savage. Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help and advice

DON'T USE THE HPI HEX'S!!!!!!!!!!!

100% of the reason guys run 17mm is because 14mm will spin the hex and ruin the rim in very short order. Not as big of a deal when the savage was first made with the 21 in it, but with the 25 on up, you will find that you will fry your hexes out of the wheels very quickly and easily. If you HAVE to go with 14mm, then find an aftermarket hex that has sharper edges to it. The HPI ones were very soft cornered that were very easy to ruin wheels with. Their 17mm hex's aren't any better. I've spun a few HPI 17mm wheels using their hexes with my LRP28.

If you can't find a sharper cornered hex, then I suggest you at least sacrifice the hubs you buy and clean them up really well with DA, lightly rough them up with find sandpaper and do the same with the wheel, then use JB weld to make them a part of the wheel. At least then you get the best chance of being able to run them for a while.

DON'T USE THE HPI HEX'S!!!!!!!!!!!

100% of the reason guys run 17mm is because 14mm will spin the hex and ruin the rim in very short order. Not as big of a deal when the savage was first made with the 21 in it, but with the 25 on up, you will find that you will fry your hexes out of the wheels very quickly and easily. If you HAVE to go with 14mm, then find an aftermarket hex that has sharper edges to it. The HPI ones were very soft cornered that were very easy to ruin wheels with. Their 17mm hex's aren't any better. I've spun a few HPI 17mm wheels using their hexes with my LRP28.

If you can't find a sharper cornered hex, then I suggest you at least sacrifice the hubs you buy and clean them up really well with DA, lightly rough them up with find sandpaper and do the same with the wheel, then use JB weld to make them a part of the wheel. At least then you get the best chance of being able to run them for a while.

Aw man unfortunately I bought the Hpi 14mm hexs before I saw this. But I'll follow everything you told me to keep them from spinning cause I want them to be on for a while. If you don't mind me asking, what is DA?

Thank you

DA = denatured alcohol. good stuff for cleaning many rc things.....

Latest posts

Members online

Back