Can’t get savage x 4.6 started

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfish930

Hello all,

Need some help! New truck, ran about 4 tanks and ran great until I chewed up a spur gear. Replaced gear with a metal Robinson 47t. Now can’t get truck started for the last two days. Here is what I checked:

Roto start battery and glow plug charger have been charged overnight.

Changed glow plugs.

Check throttle linkage for correct opening at neutral and at full throttle.

May end up throwing in the towel and taking it to my lhs. Any suggestions before I do so?

Thanks!

Jfish

Are you priming your fuel line by plugging the exhaust and cranking it over until you see the fuel in the line reach the carb? Have you tried giving it a little gas while you’re cranking it over? Have you tried warming your engine with a heat gun or a head warmer before starting? These are the things that I try if it doesn’t want to start and it usually works.

Thanks Bayslayer! I have tried everything accept the heat warmer since I don’t have one. I will try to prime it a little longer

Also it’s not good that your already stripping spur gears with only 4 tanks through the engine. At 4 tanks you should only have just started doing half throttle circles.

I use a Wagner heat gun from Home Depot. There pretty cheap but don’t overheat it. It’s good to have a temp gun also so you know how hot it’s getting. I like to get it in the high 100’s and it will usually fire right up

Pull the air filter off and dump about a thimble full of nitro fuel directly into your carburetor. See if that gets it going. If it does, than you might have a clogged fuel line preventing fuel getting from your tank to the engine.

fyi, a typical cheap hair dryer will get it up around 110F which is usually enough to ease the strain of things. Safer than a heat gun, but you won't hit 200F.

I use one of my wife's old ones if I can't wait for warm weather to break-in an engine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back