Buy My first (real) rc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdyroller

Hi I was looking into buying a savage flux HP XL. The one I'm eyeing up is used and comes with Orion FLX 4400mah 3Slipo batteries. Good enough for this monster? Has upgraded rear hub carriers and rpm rear a arms. Now what would I look for when buying this thing used? Anything thats really expensive to fix? Or just take it for a rip and if she sounds good then so it should be? Asking price is $800 with a ~$90 charger included and some spare parts.
I would like to get a new one but is the 12-1400$ worth missing out on this used one or is buying used a crapshoot anyways? Thx for your time....

First off, Welcome!!

That's WAY too much money for what you are buying. Go to http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZJE2&P=SM , join their club for $10 a year and get that truck new in the box for $565. Then go to http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=59185 and check out the battery prices on a GOOD 4500 3S battery. This will put you somewhere around $655. (if you get two) Now find a good NEW dual charger and you will still be under what you are looking at and have a NEW Savage Flux instead of someone else's problems. You will still have money left to buy the upgraded parts that are on the truck. I would also make the suggestion that you try 2S in it if you know someone to let you try them once. My Savage Flux will do standing front or back flips on 2S. On 3S, the Savage is almost too hard to handle, believe me.:)

Thanks for the response and welcome.

I wish I could do that. I'm up in Canada though and the dollar isn't in my favor for buying at tower hobby. Cheapest new flux HP I found here is $740 before tax no bats or charger. Batteries are $120-150 a piece. Damn things are expensive.

Yikes!! Admittedly I spend a lot of money on this addiction but that's nuts. I spose though when you covert the currency it must be about the same? I couldn't see myself shelling out $120+ on a battery. Most I will throw down on a 2S is 80ish.

If you have a buddy in the states maybe work out a deal with them to get you into a new truck.

Yeah just checked what the 2s are worth here and they're closer to 80. They must have quoted me for 4s I think at that price. Getting it from south of the border isn't an issue for me but what's a real problem is that I pay $1.24 for 1USD. It'll be $1100 minimum for a new setup for me.

I'm really considering this used one If I can get him down to $700 depending on how old it is. Looks like all he's got cost ~13-1400 new.
What's the biggest thing to look out for when buying used though? Says he's got lots of spare parts too. I don't mind working on stuff but I just don't want to buy a headache.

Check the drive train components for binding, wheel bearings for wobble, smell of burnt electronics, cracks in plastic pieces, fasteners for strippage, bulged battery packs. Ask about the battery condition, ie if they've been cycled and stored right. Anything else that don't feel right. If you suspect an issue see if the guy will let you take a picture and post it up so you can "consult" with your team, us, before laying out the cash.

K awesome thx. Probably won't have time to take pictures he's ~1-1.5 hrs drive away from me. I just want to be prepared and be sure to look in the right spots. I've got mechanical know how but not so much on this little stuff.

The charger is a prophet sport duo. Is that thing good enough for proper LiPo charging?
If I take it for a rip I should be able to tell if the diffs and/or slipper is in bad shape? There would be clicking/grinding noise?

The Fixxer is right. If you have a buddy in the states, or someone you trust here in the states, that's the best way to get into a new truck. I'm not suggesting you do anything shady;), but hey man, if you can save quite a bit of money? I used to sell a lot on ebay and shipped quite a bit to Canada, so I know what you need. My pricing forms used to "vary some" if you know what I mean. Where do you live in Canada, as opposed to say upper Michigan? I sold some expensive real car parts to a gentleman in Canada that managed to have them shipped to upper pennisula of Michigan and got them there. Seemed to work out. I still think the link I gave you for batteries would save you even with the exchange rate. Very good prices and good batteries. The Turnigy Nano Tech is all I use now with no problems.:D

If you are still looking at the used one, be sure what these "spares" are. I have a lot of spare parts with my savage too, and a lot of them came with the Savage, and I don't have any real use for the other spares I have. You know what I mean? Why does he have the spares and are they something you are ever going to need?

Best of luck guy, and yell if I can help in any way.

K awesome thx. Probably won't have time to take pictures he's ~1-1.5 hrs drive away from me. I just want to be prepared and be sure to look in the right spots. I've got mechanical know how but not so much on this little stuff.

The charger is a prophet sport duo. Is that thing good enough for proper LiPo charging?
If I take it for a rip I should be able to tell if the diffs and/or slipper is in bad shape? There would be clicking/grinding noise?

That charger isn't a first choice. I looked it up and unless I missed something it does not have the ability to balance charge lipos. That would give me some concern if your seller is using that charger to charge the packs you are getting with the truck. Unless you are in a serious bind and can't, lipos should be balance charged in a LiPo charging bag. Check those packs for bulging if they are soft packs or cracked case seams if they are hard cell.

Definitely take it for a rip...without question. If the slipper is crappy it will squeal and the pads will be glazed or worn heavy. Your acceleration will suck cuz the pads won't be grabbing the clutch unless it is reefed on tight..which is a personal preference to most. I don't run mine reefed tight on electrics personally. As far as the rest of the drive line just by feel will be your best assessment. Nothing should be grinding, binding, clicking or out of true. A lot to ask for on a used rig I know. But can mean a big problem deeper in if something don't feel/look right.

One thing I forgot to mention. Rigs that are driven hard/wet and put away like that will show it. Cleanliness is a good indicator the owner has taken care of it. Hope this all helps in some way.

Cool you all are heaps of help. Thx again!
Got him to 700 but I'll think he'll settle for 650. Parts are 2 fully built bulletproof diffs one he just put in. Front is stock. Has XL chassis and wider axles. Spare tires and wheels. I'm guessing the stock one as it has proline trenchers and desperado wheels. Looks like he's selling all his stuff, says he's getting out of the hobby. So it doesn't look like he's just getting rid of one junker.

Closest US buddy I got is in Vegas. He would ship for sure but if they decide to add duties at the border then I'll be screwed. Especially with the dollar. Something that's US $400 will cost me $500CDN. Good for exports but really sucks when I want to buy your stuff :(

Well if everything checks out I wish you luck. Hopefully your first hobby class RC isn't a big fat basket case and gives you a headache. We are always here to help. Only dumb question is the one you don't ask. We have all saved each other money.

Thx again.
He hasn't gotten back to me in a couple days so maybe I'll just keep saving a little for a new one.
Is there a good thread on here for 'must do' upgrades or spare parts I should carry? Wasn't able to find anything specific and if I buy one I want all in and most weak parts in my toolbox since my nearest hobby store is an hour away.
If I buy new I think I'll get those turnigy batteries and get 2 sets. Even with exchange I'll save ~$100.

Yeah would be awesome to have a upgrade list for the flux cuz I will be getting one no matter what..

So anyways, I've found a savage flux HP in a local hobby shops catalogue for $680. Only weird thing other than the low price is that this thing has part # HPI100646 and as far as I know the Flux HPs part number is 104242 which I cant seem to find for under $750. Also 100646 shows up as nothing on hpi website :/
This is gonna be a pricy hobby lol
Cant wait!!

It's odd. It does show up on HPI's website, but not much info is there. Perhaps it is a discontinued kit? Maybe before they put in the 2.4GHz radio system? It does show that no batteries or charger are included with that kit.

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/100646

Yeah that's weird. Seems to have the flux blur speed control instead of the esc 6s. I bet that box will have a lot of dust on it lol

If you put HPI # HPI100646 into google, or Bing which I use, it will come up showing the Savage Flux you are looking for. Go For it.

100646 wasn't in store anymore. So..... I got me a new shiny (for now) 104242 which is the up to date flux HP.. A couple venom 2c and a onyx 245 charger. Damn excited!! Thanx for all the inputs from you all. Gonna order some turnigy batteries cause one set won't be enough. Here she is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    986.8 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back