Build No.9 starts to take shape

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzman

Well folks build No.9 is near to completion, This build is a stock Savage 25 made mainly from my parts bin. It has a new unused set of GT wheels & tyres from an SS kit I picked up awhile ago. The mill is a new Force 4.6 with Roto start, not yet started, running a set of FeeTech 35kg servos with a FlySky GR3E receiver powered by a 1600Mah battery hump with external charge lead. 29/9T bulletproof diffs running through std 9mm output drives mated to 15/47T clutch spur setup. The exhaust is a Tsais twin chamber Stinger pipe. It has a twin fibreglass brake disc setup aswell.
Need a few parts to complete this build including, a new air filter, bodyshell, front gearbox output cup & a new engine mount as the one fitted has a stripped bolt hole . All parts ordered and in the post, so should be complete by next weekend. May use a K5.9 mill that I've just rebuilt instead of the F4.6 as just want to run this and really can't be arsed with the fluff of breaking in a new mill. The bodyshell will be a GT2 shell as cheap and available.
Future upgrades will probably included Savage X TVPs, bulkheads & diff housings.

Attachments

• DSCF0518.JPG
    DSCF0518.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0509.JPG
    DSCF0509.JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0520.JPG
    DSCF0520.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0514.JPG
    DSCF0514.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0519.JPG
    DSCF0519.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0527.JPG
    DSCF0527.JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0525.JPG
    DSCF0525.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0477.JPG
    DSCF0477.JPG
    375.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0475.JPG
    DSCF0475.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 6
Yes must say I'm pretty pleased with it. Shame I will have to dismantle it again to fit the front gearbox drive cup. It should have been here by now but guess what, that guy at the model shop up the road from you lied yet again about his stock levels. Ordered them from CarCave2020 on eBay saying 2 in stock, well guess who CarCave2020 is. Yep you guessed it. Checked his website and there it states 5 day despatch. No more orders from me been burnt by him twice now.👎

Bloody ironic but ordered another pair from Lukes RC shop this morning then this afternoon get a mail from Carcave2020 saying item has been despatched. LOL. Looks like more spares for the parts box. Doh.

Well the F4.6 mill has had her 1st tanks of fuel. Ran it indoors on the kitchen worktop much to the annoyance of my neighbours I expect as live in a studio flat. LOL. Took about 35 minutes to exhaust the tank which did surprise me, Thought it would be more like 15-20 mins as the K5.9 does a tank on idle in about 12-15 mins. Tank 2 tomorrow then down the park for 3 & 4.

That’s typical mate take it they gave you a tracking number
as it always makes me laugh when I get dispatched email from a purchase on flebay at 2.30am in morning!
God apart from your neighbours do you run an exhaust hose out of window, love the smell of nitro but must stink the place out,Lol!

Ordered a new shiny exhaust & header kit with 17mm Hex spanner off RC Scrapyard yesterday! 👍🏻

Been meaning to ask with this warm weather are you still using an engine head warmer, I have been still as want to make sure it starts up, Lol?

God apart from your neighbours do you run an exhaust hose out of window, love the smell of nitro but must stink the place out,Lol!
Been meaning to ask with this warm weather are you still using an engine head warmer, I have been still as want to make sure it starts up, Lol?
LOL, no exhaust hose mate, got Velux windows in the roof and sit the truck next to the kitchen window with a room fan blowing over the truck. But to be honest, this mill ran really clean, not much smoke at all just plenty of oil all over the rear right wheel. No stinging eyes and not much smell just bloody noisy.
As for the engine heater well I ain't got one, still thinking about it. But this weather all my mills seem to be starting good plus seem to start better now on 25% fuel.
What exhaust did you buy, one the same as I did ?

Next to window is better I guess with fan!
Thought you used a heater, best thing I have brought for starting mill, it starts on half a spin of rota. Supposed to put less strain on things also I was told!
Will be trying 25% when I get through my current supply probably.
Don’t think it’s the same exhaust you got as couldn’t see it in kit option, nearly emailed him to ask though as your one seemed to have a shinier chrome finish!

Morning mate, can you send me a picture or the link to the item as will be needing another ally pipe soon.
Looked over No.9 this morning and noticed have that same problem of the brake disc touching the clutch bell that I had on No.8, thought it might be a bent motor plate at 1st but turns out the motor plate is only 2mm thick and not 2.5mm as HPI state for p/n 86069 which is strange as I seem to have 2 this thickness, think they could be from the 1st savage .21 generation.

Attachments

• DSCF0531.JPG
    DSCF0531.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0532.JPG
    DSCF0532.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0533.JPG
    DSCF0533.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 2
Well on No.8 it was cos the collet on the flywheel was to long causing the flywheel/clutch bell to sit to far off the mill, but on this one I think its because the motor plate is only 2mm thick when it should be 2.5mm min also maybe slightly bent which happens when the trucks end up upside down when used with out a rollcage. This was a secondhand plate and I didn't check it before I fitted it. Also running small clutch/spur set 16/47t. If was running 17t then would probably move the bell away enough as not to touch. For the time being as a temp fix will put 2x2mm motor plates together.
2nd break-in tank now done so may get it down the park later for tank 3, only running rear wheel drive at the mo as waiting for that gearbox output shaft to arrive, should be here Tuesday so will mess with the motor plate then.
Got a new FlySky GR3E receiver arrived today to put in my Jumpshot SC, will feel abit strange playing with an electric model again, its only a 2s setup with a brushless motor but will still piss all over my Savages on top speed. The only problem with it is, is that it thinks it's a plane and tries to take-off past a set speed.

Oh yes the collet being to long, would that not effect how much the c/bell meets up with c/shoes?
Are you breaking in the .28 force mill?

Your crossing over to the Dark side with Jumpshot, we are not going to loose you are we? Lol.

Oh yes the collet being to long, would that not effect how much the c/bell meets up with c/shoes?
Are you breaking in the .28 force mill?
No as the shoes and the bell are both attached to the flywheel so both both are moved out the same distance from the mill. And as for moving over to the darkside, well that won't happen today as that new receiver doesn't power up, just my friggin luck.
And yes break-in the force .28

Doh coarse they are silly boy, Lol!
That’s annoying about receiver, mass produced Chinese comes to mind! 🤬

Doh coarse they are silly boy, Lol!
That’s annoying about receiver, mass produced Chinese comes to mind! 🤬
Yer Doh, LOL. Thought you were testing me 🙃
Yep it's a bummer about the receiver, have 8 of them already and never had a problem with them, was well pleased when it arrived as only ordered it yesterday morning, just had a message from the seller and he's going to test one and stick it in the post Monday so should have it Tuesday, Looks like the Darkside will have to wait a few more days. 🐱👤

Took No.9 down the park this afternoon to run tanks 3 & 4 to complete the break-in. Now broken in and have the HSN leaned about 3/4 turn from factory setting, still very smokey but pulling nice wheelies already. Happy Days.

The LSN is at the setting it came with, all I have do is adjusted the idle screw to make it idle and adjusted the HSN to about 3/4 turn in from std. It is still running well rich as smoking like a bitch but already wheeling well enough to do back flips even with a wheelie bar, Starting on the button and running 200f. Done 4 tanks now so time to see what it will do. It defo is quicker and more responsive that the HPI F4.6 but that mill has had about a gallon of fuel through it since I have owned it and don't know what use it had before that. All I can say is that this mill is bitchin so far.

Well No.9 is now finished, has her new GT2 bodyshell, Is finally 4 wheel drive now and has her new air filter. The paint scheme is a bit radical but the paints I ordered off eBay did not arrive in time so had to use what I had, Translucent Pink with Starburst Silver backing then backed with bright silver for the main body, Metallic Purple for the bed & bonnet, Gun metal spats & jet black bumpers & bonnet bulge. Not my planned colour scheme but came out good with the pink changing form red to pink as the light changes on it, Think it is the Starburst that cause this to happen, it's like a clear metal flake paint. All in all well pleased with it for a 2 hour rush job from cutting it out to applying the sticker.

Attachments

• DSCF0607.JPG
    DSCF0607.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0615.JPG
    DSCF0615.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0613.JPG
    DSCF0613.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0595.JPG
    DSCF0595.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0591.JPG
    DSCF0591.JPG
    268.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0588.JPG
    DSCF0588.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0580.JPG
    DSCF0580.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0578.JPG
    DSCF0578.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 7
Another update guys, Wasn't going to fit the sploiler to the shell but after a couple of beer changed my mind, Here she is with the GT-2 spoiler painted and fitted. Think it looks good and since I won't be bashing this truck got to worries about damage to it.

Attachments

• DSCF0634.JPG
    DSCF0634.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0632.JPG
    DSCF0632.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0630.JPG
    DSCF0630.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0628.JPG
    DSCF0628.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0627.JPG
    DSCF0627.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0618.JPG
    DSCF0618.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0619.JPG
    DSCF0619.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 2
Must be honest when you said pink I did think the worst, but Wow looks fantastic mate Top job all round! 👍🏻

See your new sponsor Luke’s RC Shop, Lol!

LOL, wasn't quite expecting it to come out quite so red but changes colour from red to pink as the light changes on it. The purple came out a different colour to the can lid, think it's cos I used Starburst as a backing colour, it's sort of like spraying on glitter. Was going to have the bumpers chrome but the paint hasn't arrived yet but think the black suits it better now do. Over all I love it, probably my best body job yet. Got this one cut out perfect 1st time which is a first for me.
As for Lukes RC shop, he always adds a couple of sticks plus sweets with his orders, got some good prices on Savage parts just wish he had more selection in stock, plus has a £5 delivery charge so best to get a few bits at a time to make a saving.
How's the camping with the family going. Weather has been great for you. 🏕🌞

One thing will say is, don't apply the stickers at 2:30 in the morning when your 3 sheets to the wind, LOL. Could have been straighter but hay-ho that's life.

Yes did have a look at Luke’s RC, pity as a lot is out of stock!
Good to know he does S/H savage parts though & even has chrome HPI exhausts listed!
How did you come across them as never heard of them before?

Fitted that exhaust set I got from RC scrapyard earlier after giving it a good chrome polish & noticed it didn’t come with set grub screw to fix to exhaust mounting bracket had a spare but is that normal or did yours?
Does look good though amazing how it sharpens up the overall appearance of a RC! 👍🏻
Back from camping in our new air tent had fantastic stay/weather with lots of swimming in fairly warm sea thanks, home for one night then staying in a Safari tent for rest of week!
Can’t believe the amount of gear we have got over the years, only still have enough room & that’s with a Vw Touran,XL roof box & erde 142 trailer but with an extended hard top to it which I made in first lock down, Lol!

Not really sure how found Lukes RC, think from just trolling the web for Savage parts.
Don't think my pipe came with the grub screw either. but I like to use a bolt instead as have had grub screws round off before which ain't good.

Attachments

• DSCF0661.JPG
    DSCF0661.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0663.JPG
    DSCF0663.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 2
What a beauty! Came together good and I see the pink it's ok and looks fresh! So clean indeed and hope your out runnin it soon in good weather!

What a beauty! Came together good and I see the pink it's ok and looks fresh! So clean indeed and hope your out runnin it soon in good weather!
Thanks Bro. Yes it turned out good, Already had it out and runs very well. Had 5 tanks of fuel now so starting to tune the mill. Just fitted Heavy duty 11mm diff cups, drive shafts & XL wide axles. Got a new set of Havok wheels for it just waiting for a set of Tredz TerraHex to arrive, still using HPI 14mm Hexs but will change to Flux 17mm Adaptors with the 3mm pins next payday.

This was No.9 on her 1st outing down the park just after the motor was broke in. forgot I had taken the video so abit late posting it. Need to get her back out before the winter sets in as been sitting on the shelf now since beginning of September.

Latest posts

Members online

Back