1. Ask questions. Share your HPI Savage knowledge. Register TODAY!

Welcome to HPISavageForum, a friendly forum to discuss the Savage RC Truck.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broken spider gears ;)

Discussion in 'Chassis & Drivetrain' started by Hankinator, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Hankinator

Hankinator Member

Finally got through the break-in on my STS D30 and wouldn't you know...less than one tank of fuel and a few wheelies I now have a broken rear diff.

The R/P still looks ok. If you look at the pic closely you can see the diff housing has a big bulge and a hole in it where it tried to throw out a piece of spider gear. The drive cup pin is sheared too. I am thinking the gears went first and caused everything to bind and sheard the pin?

Anyway. I posted on the CEN diff mod thread and am seriously looking into that...still doing the research.

While I am dissapointed that my rig is down I am still grinning ear to ear at the performance of that tank of fuel...this beast feel 5 pounds lighter with the STS mill. :40:

Not really suprised the diff broke...as I have mentioned before my rig is big....1" extended TVP's and 6.9" Moab 40 tires. Pulling wheelies while rolling. :).....

[​IMG]
    PS..sorry about the pic lighting..couldn't get it right.

Later,

Hankinator

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2007
  2. Shaun

Shaun Well-Known Member

wow u sure did mess up the spider gears!! lol guess with the big tires and more torque it just couldnt take it!! i've heard so many people on here say not to put huge tires on as there hard on your drivetrain!! but some of them big tires look awsome though! i've just spoken with jt he's going to be doing the cen diffs for me so its pretty much bullet proof

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2007
  3. Fx

Fx Well-Known Member

Just get metal diff cups.

4. LeonGraham

LeonGraham New Member

Had the same issue and as a result replaced my spider gears and now everything works great! After a long online search were able to find them at https://www.carid.com/spider-gears/

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted