Broken piston rod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juarezd

Ok was playing yesterday I was wot when my truck stalled and turned off. Went to start it and the shaft seemed jammed. Took the glow plug out still nothing. I thought maybe the one way bearing was gummed up. I removed the backplate only to find this. What do ya guys think? Would I be better of just replacing the motor or should I repair it. The crank case looks good. For sure I would need sleeve and piston. I haven't removed the crank yet to check it or to see if any damage was done to that area of the crank case. TIA.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 17
Usually by the time you replace the bearings, piston/sleeve and rod assemblies you could have bought a complete :ercm:

What do recommend keep it stock or upgrade to something better? I really don't mind paying more for more power. Also do you have any clue to what could've caused this. I wrecked pretty bad a little before. I side swiped that side of the truck on the curb a little before it died.

When I smoked my 4.6 I looked at rebuilding it but, it would end up costing more than buying new so I dropped the ball and got a lrp .32 but have yet to even run it cause I now need a new radio set up.

LRP, OFNA, and many others make engines to fit the rig so it is all in your needs and wants for a powerplant......
as for what could have caused it to give up, it is anybodys guess, usually broken rods denote wear or running lean so the lower end is not getting proper lube and it just breaks....

Ok thanks. Would it be good for bashing. I really want more low end but don't want to lose a lot of top end.

Generally the Picco line is more of a race :ercm: if you want low end and top speed consider the LRP .28 everyone who seems to own one says they are great....

Oh ok thanks. Hey sorry for the ton of questions but what else would I need if I upgrade the motor. Would I need new flywheel, clutches or need to beef up certain parts of the drivetrain. Everything is still stock on the truck. Clutches still look good but if I'm better off upgrading I might as well do it now that it's torn apart.

Not sure if the picco is still available these days... at least the good one. They did have carb issues though since they used a composite/aluminum carb. A LRP 28/30/32 would all be a good replacement. I had a 28 in mine (long story, but still say the 28's are good) and just recently put a 30 in my X that is about half broken in. With 47/17 gearing... it's ridiculous so far. I think I only have 6 or 8 tanks through it, but somewhere in the middle of the last tank, it really opened up and pulled a 2nd gear wheelie on me and carthwheeled onto pavement. Scratched my head a bit.

I've had 5 LRP28's in various rigs, 2 of which were savages and the did really well... all but one of them. Jury is still out on the 1 anomaly though.

Not sure if the picco is still available these days... at least the good one. They did have carb issues though since they used a composite/aluminum carb. A LRP 28/30/32 would all be a good replacement. I had a 28 in mine (long story, but still say the 28's are good) and just recently put a 30 in my X that is about half broken in. With 47/17 gearing... it's ridiculous so far. I think I only have 6 or 8 tanks through it, but somewhere in the middle of the last tank, it really opened up and pulled a 2nd gear wheelie on me and carthwheeled onto pavement. Scratched my head a bit.

I've had 5 LRP28's in various rigs, 2 of which were savages and the did really well... all but one of them. Jury is still out on the 1 anomaly though.
Thanks for the info I'll end up getting a Lrp. Hopefully soon wish I could've had it running for the memorial weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back