Brand New Savage x 4.6 wont start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple6thug2

I currently have a savage x 4.6. It is brand new, I cant get the motor to start for the life of me. I have taken the glow plug out and tried to start it to see if my pistons are moving up and down and they are, I have tested my glow plug to make sure its good and it is. I am so close to just giving up I have only got it to start 3 times now and each time takes close to 45 min. can someone please help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong before I send it back and be done with it.

thanks

don't send your savage back if it doesn't work, you can always sell it. Anyway, have you checked the glow plug ignitor, a bad glow plug ignitor and a bad glow plug can be a pain to start an engine. Just get rid of the stock HPI ones as they are not so good.

don't send your Savage back if it doesn't work, you can always sell it. Anyway, have you checked the glow plug ignitor, a bad glow plug ignitor and a bad glow plug can be a pain to start an engine. Just get rid of the stock HPI ones as they are not so good.

Jelle318 I did buy a new glow plug ignitor, your right it was a p.o.c. So I have done that and check both glow plugs that I have and they both light up. I am going to adjust the idle needle tonight to see if that opens the carb and see if it works. After that I will 200% be lost. I have checked to see if its flooded. When I take the glow plug out and turn the roto start nothing comes out so I don't know

errr, has the piston even been covered in fuel? because what I do after I run is remove the heatsink then saturate the motor in after run oil...

errr, has the piston even been covered in fuel? because what I do after I run is remove the heatsink then saturate the motor in after run oil...

Thats a bit of overkill, all you need to do is a couple drops in the plug hole and a drop or 2 in the carb and roll the :ercm: over a couple times to distribute the oil around....

I know, ^^^ but better safe than sorry :) no wonder I go through a quarter of the bottle per run.... xD

I have only been able to get it funning for 3 tanks and neither time has it been covered in gas.

I know, ^^^ but better safe than sorry :) no wonder I go through a quarter of the bottle per run.... xD

As a matter of fact too much afterrun oil can actually gum up the internals of your :ercm: and cause premature wear and other problems also... a couple drops goes a LONG way with that stuff...
I used WD40 in all my nitro :ercm: and been doing it for years and I have a few :ercm: that have gallons on them and are still in great shape....

Jam Racing 1 are you saying that instate after oil you using WD 40?

That would be correct, after every time I use my nitro rigs, I spray WD40 down the carb and in the glow plug hole, turn em over a few times and put them away....

@Triple6thug2, is this your first nitro RC? Have you read any of the "break-in" threads yet?

The first 1-10 tanks of any nitro engine can be the most annoying and difficult. Make sure you prime it properly before going nuts with the starter. Then while spinning the starter, open the throttle up a bit, once it fires, you can let back off so it doesn't rev too high. Leave the heater on the engine for a bit after it's running and lift the truck in the air, then blip the throttle a few times to clear it out. Then the heater can usually come off and you can gently drive it around to get fuel through the engine for break-in.

Reactions: X25
Ok I finally had it running and now I have no control of it as soon as I hit the throttle once the car just goes and never stops I don't know what to do. It just goes nuts all by its self some one help me out please

sounds as if your receiver is losing signal for some reason, you checked all the servo connections and made sure they are tight and in correctly? is the receiver pack charged or at least have good batteries in the 4 cell pack if thats what you using??

You should check your carburetor spring and throttle servo and linkages to make sure that the carb is closing properly when you let go of the throttle. You probably should also check the brakes to make sure they are clamping down on the discs when you push the throttle trigger away from you to apply the brakes.

It's been a while since I've run nitro, so that's all I can think of.

I just sprayed some cleaner in the carb then my starter shaft broke. I was trying to Aline the throttle and carb perfectly. Maybe there was something in it keeping it from closing idk. What steps should I do to just start from scratch and get this working properly I can't even take it off the stand right now

First off you should never spray any cleaners in these carbs, they have plastic parts in them that most cleaners will ruin.....
secondly the manual has detailed instructions on how to set up your linkages, but it goes like this...
set all trims to 0 or neutral, then turn on your rig and radio as if you are going to run it but do not start it up yet, check the idle gap to make sure it is 1mm or so...
if not adjust the idle screw to set the correct gap..... apply full brake and check again if the gap stays 1mm or so and the brakes do in fact stop the wheels. open the throttle and then back to neutral on the trigger, noting if the idle returns to the same position every time, if so your idle should be good to go....
reset all your needles high and low to break in settings and try to run it with the wheels off the ground to verify you have brakes and it is not idling too high, if that all works then it can be run in small circles close to you so you can grab it if it starts to get away..... do a few tanks like this before you even try to set the high and low mixture needles for any kind of tune...

Once again reading through the manual is going to be your best bet to trouble shoot problems....

:lmao: ya that only breaks if the :ercm: is hydrolocked and you force it to turn over all while doing so can break the rod or worse......

That's kinda what I was getting at. I hope that's all the damage. I thought my starter wand had been through the ringer...:DOH:

It was bend I think my wife dropped something on it when we moved. It wasn't from anything I did. Tower hobbies is on back order

I have bent two with the nitro starter. They begin to twist in the narrow section at the end. I have had better success with a good drill because the clutch is better.

Latest posts

Members online

Back