braking problem with my new octane xl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guya

hi

this truck is 2 weeks old and a lot of fun ..
last few days i noticed the car will not stop.

after checking, it appears that the black lever is moving all the way and stops at the electricity box .. but its not enough to activate the brakes.

i took the lever out and moved the axle with the hex tool .. and verified that breakes are working .. but with the lever the travel is not enough.

any ideas ?

how to solve this problem ?

thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-02-01 11:52:55.png
    Screenshot from 2016-02-01 11:52:55.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
yes.

i was told i need to shim the brakes ...
is it normal for a 2 weeks old car ?

here is how it looks.

screws are tight, i don't know what puck is.

trans.jpg

109024a ??

i have no idea .. need to take it all apart to check. but if i pull the lever to other side, it stops the red pads .. so i guess there is something to be pressed there ....

i will take it apart later .. :(

thanks.

Ok ..took it apart.
All parts are in place and intact.

The mechanism of brake deploy pin works fine in the hand.

New ideas ?

Attachments

• IMG_20160202_114722.jpg
    IMG_20160202_114722.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 18
When you put it back together and use the controller to apply the brakes, does it pull the brake arm back (the bit you were moving back and forward on the video) far enough? When you push forward on the throttle to apply the brakes, the black round thing should be up against the brake arm and the spring should become compressed. If this is not happening then not enough pressure is being applied to the brakes so turn the knurled nut to the left of the spring so that this does happen (but not too tight or it will keep the brakes applied constantly). If this all looks good then it could be the servo that controls the brake/throttle situated in the battery/cdi/receiver box is at fault.

Watch the video @paulnewman. He has too much slop in the mechanism. The arm is hitting the electronics box.

I guess you could "shim the brakes" by placing washers on the screws before putting them threw the shoes.

Last edited:
well guys, thanks for the comments.
i took everything out and disassembled the brakes system, everything in there looks good.
i reassembled the car back .. and .. it works ... i have no idea why.

after reading the comments again i changed the spring to silicone fuel tube.
looks as if the brakes are working now .. not firm and agile .. but some how working ...

but any how .. the black plastic lever goes too much in the electric box direction. i wish it had teeth so i can rotate it a little .. but it doesn't :(

maybe i will add a shim in the point where the part that pushes the pads touches the axle of the lever.

right side of "109024a" in the above picture.

what do you think ?

If you put a collar on the other side of your brake arm with a short piece of fuel tube between the arm and collar on it, it may give you a bit more braking action and keep that arm from hitting the battery/electronics box... Dubro and Ofna sell some and they are not too spendy.....

i had to rework my brake arm on my savage when i did the throttle mod, but now mine will do stoppies no problem....

I looked at mine and the brakes engage when the lever is straight up. Once they touch it is firm. You said your truck is 2 weeks old. Are they dragging while you're running it?

Last edited:
@francis Labarbara , will try washers today. thank you, about brakes .. the drive shaft is loose when no brake applied .. and if car is on some small going down way is goes down when no throttle is applied .. and stops when i brake. but if running on 3rd .. and trying to stop .. hhmm ..... it takes a loooong way to stop.

@Jam Racing 1 , can you maybe please add a video or a pic ? ... i have no idea what is this mod or what you refer to .. thanks !

@olds97_lss , i was thinking about it .. but i am afraid i will destroy the plastic .. or that it will become not strong enough. i wish they made it in a way i could change the angle ... :(

Kind of like I have this one the lower linkage with the 2 collars and springs, you can use fuel tube also and it works just as well, I do not have an octane, but possibly this may help, also a stronger throttle servo will help alot as the throttle servos on the stock rigs are notoriously weak on the savage nitro models and i am sure they are just as weak on the octane version...

@Jam Racing 1 thanks for the picture .. Looks like a heavy duty mechanics .. I decided to start with the simple stuff .. I add two nylone rings at the heads of the screws. The mechanism is now totally working with just the smallest move of the lever. While the drive shafts are rotating freely while not applied.. Looks as the good of all worlds .. Doesn't it ?

Attachments

• IMG_20160205_135306.jpg
    IMG_20160205_135306.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20160205_135314.jpg
    IMG_20160205_135314.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 45
Killer brakes !!

Thanks.

My car is rolling forward when stopping ;)

But now the steering servo died ;(

New car ... Two f#$% weeks only !!!

I bumped into the exact same problem today. I need to push the lever all the way into the electronics box to get it to brake. I couldn't see any damage, wear or loosened screws, so my assumption was something must have happened "inside", haven't taken it all apart. And it has happened suddenly I think, as the breaks worked fine yesterday. I did just like mentioned and added washers at the screw heads. It would be interesting to know exactly what happened, though.

Now I have taken my brake apart too, and I can confirm that it is somewhat of a mystery.

And this is interesting, when bying spares, there are 4 washers included. There were none on my car and they don't show in the IPL.

hpic1119.jpg

I suspect your brakes are too tight and dragging. I have a gallon on my Octane and the bakes show no wear and engage at the original position. My savage x has gone 3 gallons and is the same.

it is quite possible that the servo is just too weak to give the best braking, or possibly developed some slop in the linkage causing a loss of brake performance....

Latest posts

Members online

Back