Brakes are giving throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo Savage

Hi everyone,
When I apply brakes, instead of braking, the servo moves the same way as when applying throttle. I have the linkage set correctly I think for max throttle but it won't stop so that kinda useless. Please help me out with this thanks
-joey

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
well then your other option is to try a different one, that one may have a problem inside you cant see....
Looks as if your linkage is mostly correct....

get the linkages and all in a clear vid and possibly we can see if there is a problem... but if is a stock servo most of them are not all that durable anyway......

get the linkages and all in a clear vid and possibly we can see if there is a problem... but if is a stock servo most of them are not all that durable anyway......
So I adjusted the trim and the fixed the problem but now it barely moves and it's making almost a clanking noise when It's in neutral. The servo is a futaba s3003

Remove the servo horn from the servo and see if you have full movement. Do you have end point adjutments on the transmitter? Reset them. There may be another adjustment, can't recall the name, but it limits the movement. Set everything to neutral.

That s3003 is a stock cheapo servo with about 45 ozin torque so I think it is time to replace with a better servo to make throttle and brakes work as they should...

I want to say, why should we need a strong servo for throttle and brakes, but this weekend I was having a problem with my throttle and brakes and standard 3003. I think the problem was a combo of the servo arm assembly with the spring in between was binding, and the screw holding it on top was too tight. I put a little white grease in between the two pieces, and around the bellcrank shaft, readjusted trims and I think I fixed it. Brakes seem strong enough for the most part though as long as the linkage is working right.

I want to say, why should we need a strong servo for throttle and brakes, but this weekend I was having a problem with my throttle and brakes and standard 3003. I think the problem was a combo of the servo arm assembly with the spring in between was binding, and the screw holding it on top was too tight. I put a little white grease in between the two pieces, and around the bellcrank shaft, readjusted trims and I think I fixed it. Brakes seem strong enough for the most part though as long as the linkage is working right.
Why would you put grease in the servo saver

You really shouldn't, maybe some dry lube but never grease...
That wasn't the servo saver. Its the servo horn which attaches to throttle brake linkage, two parts separated by a ring shaped spring that allows the throttle servo to work the brakes without putting pressure on the carb when it slides past below idle.. We were talking about throttle/break not steering.....

Last edited:
That wasn't the servo saver. Its the servo horn which attaches to throttle brake linkage, two parts seperates by a ring shaped spring

and built into that servo horn is a spring which helps absorb overtravel of the servo, hence the name servo saver.......

That isn't what that spring does. It just lets the throttle servo hit the brakes, then when you release it bounces back so the brakes won't stick. How do you not know this? Why would you need a servo saver on a throttle brake servo?

Last edited:
That isn't what that spring does. It just lets the throttle servo hit the brakes, then when you release it bounces back so the brakes won't stick. How do you not know this? Why would you need a servo saver on a throttle brake servo?

so that gold spring is not a saver of any type ?????, on this I think you are just wrong my friend, it operates the same way as the steering servo saver mounted on the servo does.... it prevents servo overtravel therefore keeping the servo safe from breakage......

What the heck are you talking about. No it is not a servo saver. It isn't "saving" anything. I know it looks a little bit like a servo saver, but think about it, what kind of shock is going to get to your servo through the throttle and brakes to need a servo saver? Also think about how the linkage works. If that spring wasn't there, the brakes would not be released when the servo goes back to neutral. It's whole purpose it just to be a resistance against the throttle horn when it is in neutral and against the carb stop,, so that when you release the back pressure the brake lever springs back to neutral. It has absolutely nothing to do with protecting the servo from shock. Also I'm talking about the Savage, which has no servo saver mounted directly to the steering servo, it is in the bellcrank, where you can adjust it up or down with the thumbscrew collar thingy.

well I am holding that part in my hand and it does the same exact thing a servo saver does so I can only figure that you are either misinformed or just do not understand what a servo saver actually does....

if I turn the top and bottom opposite there is a spring inside that tries to bring it back to neutral, so thats the exact thing a servo saver does..... and I do know that the savage uses a saver on the chassis for steering, this is not my first day with RC stuff but the principal is EXACTLY the same thing, to prevent overtravel which can damage the servo........

On this setup there is no servo saver but are still overtravel springs to prevent the servo straining against an operator running the servo against the stops thus preventing burnout of the servo, yes I have my radio end points programmed to stop, but things happen that can still damage a servo that are out of the users control.......
have you ever seen a stick get caught up into the linkages causing them to jam, I have and sometimes it can take down a servo so best be prepared for all circumstances that happen while bashing your rig.......

Fact of the matter is HPI put those there to prevent their cheap servos from being subjected to undo loads because there are limited options on the entry level radio system provided with the RTR Savage line such as end point control and damage caused by things getting caught up in the linkages.....
So with that I have to rest my case and await your response....

It's a carb saver, not a servo saver. Yes it has a spring, yes it goes on the servo arm. However it's actually just letting the linkage work, not protecting the servo. Call it whatever you want I guess, but the action should be smooth, not stiff. Otherwise as I found out the throttle/brake operation will be finicky. Yes on that pictured setup, there is ALSO no servo saver, just a different type of spring to let the linkage do its work. This is kind of like a generator vs motor thing, they both technically are the same thing, but have different purposes. I guess I can see why you're calling it a servo saver, but here that isn't what it's purpose is. It isn't there to protect the servo from external loads, it's there to protect the carb linkage from your servo when it wants to go below neutral, and to spring the brakes back from being applied.

Well just FYI in the manual under servo saver part #85058 it is called a servo saver crank assembly so in this instance you are not using correct terminology.....

One could use a straight arm and accomplish the same objective but there would be no overtravel springs to keep the servo from going all the way to the stop thus wearing or burning out the servo so they use that crank/saver assembly to keep this from happening......
But for all intents and purposes it is a servo saver......

Well just FYI in the manual under servo saver part #85058 it is called a servo saver crank assembly so in this instance you are not using correct terminology.....

One could use a straight arm and accomplish the same objective but there would be no overtravel springs to keep the servo from going all the way to the stop thus wearing or burning out the servo so they use that crank/saver assembly to keep this from happening......
But for all intents and purposes it is a servo saver......
You're right it does say steering crank/servo saver. Odd.

Someone needs to listen when told the truth rather than attempt to argue inaccuracies...

Congrats Jam on having greater restraint than I would have.

Lol it still isn't a servo saver despite being called that. And it should move freely, the opposite of what you want a servo saver to do. It also only moves in one 90 degree arc of the servo arm when installed, not both ways like a servo saver, and you want it to move smoothly with minimal friction, whereas on a servo saver you want it to NOT move unless it is hit with a large sudden load.

Latest posts

Members online

Back