Body scratches... We all HATE them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoD

I'm not sure about everyone out there, but I like to have a show-off body that's clean and spotless. Something I took a good while working on, something really nice. As it seems though, urges to run a new body usually end up in scratches. Scratches can turn that awesome looking ride into an ugly piece of plastic. So, after trial and error with my RC10 bodies over the years, I've found a pretty good way to remove these unsightly things.

Here's what you'll need. (Sorry for the lack of pictures, as I do not currently have anything left of my body repair stuff)

1: Fine and finer grits of sandpaper, like 640 and 800 grits

2: Clear fingernail polish, you can get it at wal-mart

3: Clear coating paint of your choice. Make sure it's a nice clear paint, or it will not turn out the way you're wanting it to.

4: A couple hours of spare time, at most.

First, take your body off, and clean it up. Make it shine as best as possible, and then make sure to dry it off well. You might want to leave it sit for a while, as one drop of water can ruin the entire process.

Now, look at all the scratches. If there's any that are more than 0.01m thick, or thicker than a piece of paper, get your nail polish out. Brush (in one stroke) a small amount of the nail polish across the scratch. If you have a few deep scratches, just repeat this process for each individual scratch.

Now, let this sit for a few minutes, let the polish dry as good as you can. If it's not dry, it will ruin the progress, and you will have to restart it again.

Now, take your 640 grit sandpaper, and get the rougher parts of the fingernail polish off. Don't hit the body much, just the polish. Try to get a close to even level with the body on the fingernail polishes.

Now, blow the body off, so there's no residue from the polish on it. Take your finer(800 grit) sand paper and make the scratches flat with the body. It will take some time, so be patient, and most of all, don't be rough with it. Remember, taking your time is key.

Now, once you have a really good feel for the body, and it seems close enough for you, take it and wash it again. Clean it as nice as possible. There will be some "whiteness" from the scratches, don't worry though.

Once it's totally dry, take the body to a well ventilated area (i.e. outside) and use your clear coating spray to make NICE even passes across the entire outside of the body. If you don't paint the entire body, some coloration may be different where you do paint. Some clear coats aren't entirely clear, so make sure you have the right stuff. Once it's dry, you're done! If you do everything right, and take your time, your body will once again look beautiful. Some scratches will still be noticable, specially if you've drug it across the pavement a couple times and caused seriously deep scratches.

This method is intended to fix scratches on the outside of the body. It won't ever come out "perfect", but it will look better than the scratches alone (unless you like scratches, gives it character lol)

Make sure you get the right stuff before you try this. I usually use a clear polish that my wife gets from Le Nails, and dupli-color makes a really nice clear coating spray for about 7 bucks at Wal-Mart. I recommend testing on a piece of lexan plastic to see if you'll like the results before you actually start the project on your show body. As TV commercials say, "Results may Vary". So make sure you test it first, specially with how many different nail polishes and clear coating paints that there are. If you don't like the results, you can either change your polish/paint or don't try it with your body.

I've done it three times to bodies of mine, and it works decently. It's better than staring at scratches in my nice looking body!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back