Blow Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nihal

HI, I want to know why my glow plug keeps blowing out? Total 5 blowouts before my 3rd tank today. Any idea why this is happening.

I know off the top of my head there are a couple reasons, first , is your truck running too lean or hot, is running too rich, what motor are you running, and what gloe plug and temp

This is a F4.6 motor. I can see trails of smoke coming out and am using medium no8 glow plug.

I'm assuming you mean that the plug stops working, not literally blowing out of the engine into the air.

If it's blowing out of the engine, then your threads in the head are shot and you need a new head/head button.

If it's just dying on you and stops running, what do the plugs look like? Is the coil gone completely? All covered in black stuff? Distorted coil? Smashed coil?

I'm assuming you mean that the plug stops working, not literally blowing out of the engine into the air.

If it's blowing out of the engine, then your threads in the head are shot and you need a new head/head button.

If it's just dying on you and stops running, what do the plugs look like? Is the coil gone completely? All covered in black stuff? Distorted coil? Smashed coil?
Sorry for the confusion
The glow plugs burn out. Becomes black.

Not deformed at all? Still looks like a coil?

Black coil/plug tip usually means your running rich. Grey non-deformed coil usually means your right on the lean edge. White usually means it's deformed or blown out, which means your way lean.

Examples of glowplug and what it tells you:
2016-0509-glowPlugExample01.jpg

1) deformed coil - lean
2) ok coil, no residue to speak of, edge of peak performance and lean
3) a bit of carbon, not deformed, decent basher tune
4) a lot of carbon and oil build up, overly rich

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back