Bigger better???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy1822

Savage Owner
I'll start things off. I see lots of guys at the baja place with 30.5 and other big bore kits. The thing is, they redline around the same rpm. My 26cc has plenty of power to top out the gears so whats the advantage of the big displacement engines? I know they will get the Baja up to speed quicker, but only if they have enough traction.

I'm still a newb with my Baja. I only know from what Ive read on other heavily vendor biased forums. So now that we have a free forum, what do you guys think?

I agree Grumpy, the 26 has decent power and is still hard enought to get traction on some surfaces. However, I want a larger motor for more torque. Man when this thing gets traction I want it to pull the wheels up with ease. I just need to drive it more.

Grump I think its look what I got with every thing else. I got a viper mill in my work truck do you ??? lol Most people want it to go faster not better...

Guys just wait ill you see what I am working on for the Baja !!!!! stay tuned as my family has decades of building race 2 strokes under our belt ..right now we are waiting for our new CNC mill then we will be setting up tooling to start building the Baja engines.....My brother will be joining my team, he currently builds Late Model and Spring engines and has been dabbling in Formula Go-Cart engines.....His previous experience is injected Nitro and Blown Alcohol !

Guys just wait ill you see what I am working on for the Baja !!!!! stay tuned as my family has decades of building race 2 strokes under our belt ..right now we are waiting for our new CNC mill then we will be setting up tooling to start building the Baja engines.....My brother will be joining my team, he currently builds Late Model and Spring engines and has been dabbling in Formula Go-Cart engines.....His previous experience is injected Nitro and Blown Alcohol !
Make me one for my banshee! But for my models I don't like part braking power...

Make me one for my banshee! But for my models I don't like part braking power...

For a Banshee engine I would rather have my cousin do it...he has done several nasty Banshee's in his day..... If your truly interested I can put you in contact with him and let you guys discuss what he can do.... His last Banshee was truly lethal

That sounds wicked Neal. Let us know how the Baja motors go. Grumpy the biggest thing is the torque and stall on the clutch. My 23 will pull the super speed gears with the 8000 rpm clutches but it takes a bit. As the displacement gets bigger it is easier for the truck to get up to speed faster. You are correct on the rpms of these motors. They are all about the same. the only difference is where the power band is. The only exception to this are the reed case motors. There rpms are almost 50% more and in return the HP on the motors are almost double. Now you need to add pipes to the equation. Right now my little 26cc stock HPI motor will do wheelies all day long with my Dominator pipe. Put the HPI pipe on it and it falls flat on it's face.
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4955
The trucks do to there final drive ratio will only go so fast. Just like a Savage.
Stock 26cc Baja with Dom pipe 50+ MPH on the radar and laser. My 29cc Big bore was only 56MPH that is with the top speed gears. No mater how big ya go it is only going to run out as much as the gear ratio lets it. I am no longer doing bigger I'm doing better (sound familiar). The CY motors are a Chines copy of the Japanese GP motors. All parts are interchangeable. The CY motors have chrome plating issues with the bores and epoxy issues with the stuffed cranks. I have replaced the bore section of my 26 with a GP bore for 50.00. I gained some HP but have a better mill do to the parts for wear and tear. Get a 26cc GP or a 27cc GP motor. good balance of power and torque. It makes a great race motor and not finicky to tune.
Hope this helps some.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shorter stroke engines will turn more RPM on the top end than a stroked model. The stroked engines make more bottom end torque than short strokers. In my opinion the Baja does not need 30.5 torque, un-less you plan on playing with paddles in the sand. Then maybe so ... That torque does just make them harder to drive, due to tire spin. I have a 27 cc in mine & it's plenty, even a bit to much on a slicker track.

I agree, bragging rights bring on a lot of 30.5 purchases.

how did this project end up turning out?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back