Big Savage, Little Savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarGuy7a

Hey guys new to this forum. Just finished up building my Savage X SS 4.6 kit and thought I'd share a few pics. I built the XS SS last summer and found myself wanting a bigger Savage since I don't have any large MT's in my collection. I built this kit using Stainless Hex hardware seeing as how I wasn't really impressed with an HPI SS kit having phillips screws. Also I wasn't impressed at all with having 2 sealed diffs only to find grease in them. Two thumbs down for that, and that was the first thing that got changed, I put 50k in both front and rear. But of course I knew that was coming after building the XS kit and the instructions saying to use grease in a sealed diff cornfused. Also I used a Hitec 5625 for throttle and a 5645 for steering. I'm afraid it may not be enough torque for steering any comments on that are welcome. Anyways enough rambling on to the pics. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking trucks. The servos you used will work just fine for the savage. It's all I have ever run in my trucks with no failures ever.

Glad to hear that. I was leary they weren't strong enough at first but after the break in today they worked great. I did have some problems breaking it in. Once I got to the 3rd tank it wouldn't hardly run just kept loading up and stalling. I had to lean out the HSN quite a bit to keep it running. I know the instructions say to do a 3 tank break in method (1 tank 1/4 throttle on a stand) 2 tanks half throttle driving but I wasn't comfortable just letting it rip on the 4th tank. I ran 3/4 throttle for 1 tank, and up to full throttle briefly on the last tank. Then I tuned it for performance. I was actually surprised how well the truck handled even though it has a rather high CG. The parking lot was too slick to pull wheelies since it was freshly sealed asphalt but the truck rips pretty good.

Also is there any particular reason behind running the cold R5 plugs in these? I know usually you run cold plugs for high nitro content but I just don't get why they would want you to run a cold plug and recommend a fuel in the 20% nitro content range. I do have some medium plugs will those hurt it?

Medium plugs would work okay, but the r5 is better I think.
They work fine for tuning an everything and they'll last longer. And the engine will run cooler.

I originally had the guy at the LHS order me some McCoy MC9's but caught him in time before he ordered and had him change it to MC-8's. I may do some more running on this motor and do a fang job on the sleeve and crank. I just did one on my OS21tm in my Slayer but I haven't run it yet and am anxious to see how it runs. If it runs like a beast I may do it on this mill too. Here's a link to the pics. The OS sleeve and crank is in post #4.
http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?8977971-First-attempt-at-port-and-polish&daysprune=60

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back