Big Joe's 2.2 wont fit hex

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vettehigh

My Big Joe 2.2's will not fit on my Flux. They are not deep enough to fit into the hex wheel hub. What hex wheel hubs do I need? Thanks

I was just told that HPI #108020 will work?

They won't fit on the metal hubs that the stock wheels fit on, due to the protruding circular ring on those hubs. My car came with some plastic hexagonal hubs without that ring that fit the Big Joe's fine. If you don't have those then the part you linked looks like it should work.

They won't fit on the metal hubs that the stock wheels fit on, due to the protruding circular ring on those hubs. My car came with some plastic hexagonal hubs without that ring that fit the Big Joe's fine. If you don't have those then the part you linked looks like it should work.

I went ahead and ordered those...HPI Racing Aluminum Locking Hex Wheel Hub 12mm

Last edited:
I had the same problem and it was fixed the same way as Fiend. I've heard you can drill out the holes and still use the metal hexes but I'd rather use the "correct" hex.

Do you guys recommend blue loctite on the tiny screws going into the hubs?

Attachments

• HPI.jpg
    HPI.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1
Do you guys recommend blue loctite on the tiny screws going into the hubs?

Grub screws always work themselves out without thread locker. Very common issue on drive cups. Any hardware going into metal should have thread locker.

You shouldn't need the grub screws at all? The hex hubs will be held into place by the wheels screwing tight against them along the axles. Grub screws will just be an extra annoyance when stripping the car down (although not that you'll need to much given how yours is entirely HD ;) )

You shouldn't need the grub screws at all? The hex hubs will be held into place by the wheels screwing tight against them along the axles. Grub screws will just be an extra annoyance when stripping the car down (although not that you'll need to much given how yours is entirely HD ;) )

This is a perspective that simply begs to be punished for its view. What happens if his wheel nut loosens and the wheel comes off? Then he loses the hex and pin as well.....

Don't half-ass the assembly of your truck, you'll pay for it.

Well, the stock hubs (i.e. the metal ones, and both types of plastic ones that come with the car) DON'T have grub screws.

I've had *one* wheel come loose in 20-25 batteries worth of driving/abusing the car and the hub didn't come off - the various stock hubs fit pretty tight over CVT axles. Even if it did come loose, the wee car probably won't disappear into the distance once it's on 3 wheels so hubs and pins should be okay to find (I got spare pins anyway in case I lost them whilst field-stripping).

That's why I said that, I wasn't being that daft!

Still, while he's threadlocking them, he should definitely threadlock the bloody M4 Screw Shafts that go into the gear box cups, those are right little buggers when they come out. Or invest in a metal detector.

The axle. This image shows it better:
108020_108020_01np_800_600.jpg

Trouble guys...I just got the wheel hub nuts, but the problem is the wheel itself (opening of the wheel) will not go into my axle all the way in order to catch the whole nut. The hole is not big enough to go over my axle to the nut

The hex wheel hub is not thick enough

What correct hex wheels hubs (stock do not work nor does #108020) do I need in order to use Big Joe 2.2's?

Last edited:
Trouble guys...I just got the wheel hub nuts, but the problem is the wheel itself (opening of the wheel) will not go into my axle all the way in order to catch the whole nut. The hole is not big enough to go over my axle to the nut

The hex wheel hub is not thick enough

What correct hex wheels hubs (stock do not work nor does #108020) do I need in order to use Big Joe 2.2's?
Can you get some pictures of what's going on? Maybe you're missing something.

I just used a 3/16 drill bit to widen the the rim hole by 0.1mm.....the wheels now fit on with no problem

The problem I was having was the wheel fit over the threaded part of the universal drive shaft, but not the solid part after it as shown

Attachments

• hpi cvc.jpg
    hpi cvc.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back