BIG crash, BIG dent, very scarey, what next please?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danzautomatic

Hi all!
I have had my Savage with an STS.28 for around 6 months. Yesterday it went out of control due the batteries for the servos being low. It ran at full speed acroos the field, into our car door denting it BADLY! bounced off then continued to work it's was under the car trapping itself under the petrol tank!
Here it wedged, wheels locked but the engine revving higher and higher. I couldn't reach the exhaust to cut it off and couldn't free it. Eventually after about 30 seconds it cut out at what sounded like full revs.

I managed to pull it out and immediately saw that it had completely stripped around a quarter of the spur gear. The engine also had locked up but after taking the head off I managed to get it moving.

My questions are!: what other damage is this likely to have done and how do I check it please?
The engine piston is now quite hard to turn over when at the top of its travel but fine on its way back down and up again. Is this normal? I can't remember it being quite as stiff (the roto does however easily turn it over).
Would this crash have effected the gearboxes? Would the stripped spur have saved them any damage? (remember, the wheels weren't rotating). If so how would I go about checking? I sthere an easy way without opening them up?
Thanks a lot in advance for any help from an amatuer!
Cheers
Dan

before you run it again buy a fail safe. It is an under rated hopup in IMO. Will help protect your investment. For the engine I'll leave that to a more experienced member. Sorry to hear that happened.

hey Dan welcome to the site

alot of things could of broke, hopefully its just your spur gear that took the abuse

First I recommend a failsafe to prevent it from happening again.

Its gonna be hard to tell if you have done any internal damage to transmission or differentials untill you
replace the spur gear and run the truck again

You can roll the truck back and forth to listen for gears slipping or grinding but, a slightly damaged pinion or drive gear will sometimes grab untill under the force of your engine.

The mill sounds like it should still run for you. The high rev till it died out may of prematurely worn your piston & sleeve, rod
but, may still run for ya.

good luck

welcome Dan, i hope your mill isnt damaged bud but like livewire i too would like to see pics of the car door. we're pretty sick like that.

my bud had a similar incident with his spankin-new xl, we had to lift the car off the savage. to our surprise, there was zero damage to the savage (notice that thick-black smoke trail) he almost flipped that little car over tho.

this doesnt sound like too good of news, sorry man. definetly need a fail safe, and a nice throttle return spring too.

Hey guys.
Thanks very much for your input.
I've ordered a spur and will replace, I'll let you know results.
Also, I'll find my camera and take a shot of the dent to keep you all happy!
Cheers again.
Dan

sorry to hear about your luck my friend, theres nothing worse then watching your savage take off by itself at full throttle.... I'm sure all the help you will ever need is here at the forum so welcome aboard!!!!!!!

The description of your engine leads me to believe that it is fine. The main issue with sts's is the con rod and crank pin, these will fail and break. Other then that I have seen them take great abuse (reving & overheating) like a champ, you may want to repace the glow plug just in case the coil got damaged, you don't want it falling out as it can destroy the piston and sleeve. I think it will be fine.

^^ definatly take that as good.

you can use a plunger to pull out the dent in the car door as long as it isnt creased.

Members online

No members online now.
Back