big bore shocks info please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunseeker

hi can anyone tell me what the difference is between the hpi big bore shock set and the sports shock set are they both the same length as the standard 8 shocks and would they lower my savage much which is what I want to do thanks

The big bore set is alloy. The sport or "flux" set are all plastic. Pretty sure they are the same other than the material they are made of. I don't believe the length is any different than the skinny stock plastic shocks.

This is a comparison of the standard shock, LST shock and flux/big bore plastic shock:
flux5b6.jpg

Both the plastic body and alloy body "big bore" shocks use the same shock shaft, part 86383.

That said, the plastic bodied shocks use a longer internal bump/extension limiter than the alloy big bore shocks.
Flux: 87058
big bore: 87524

Both shocks have 87524 between the shock end and shock body as a cushion for compression, but the big bore have one inside the shock under the disk to cushion full extension. The flux/plastic versions inside piece is longer, which means the shock won't extend as far.

So, with that in mind, get either shock, then get a few extra 87058 pieces to lower it even further internally by stacking them..

Wish I could find a photo of the flux and big bore shocks side by side. Spent 10 minutes on google and couldn't find one.

can always use fuel line in leau of 87058
big bore doesnt really seem much bigger when set beside is skinny little brother

I wonder if anybody has done a mod to put fatter shafts in the big bore like can be done to the LST shock

hiya and wow for the brilliant reply I had been searching the web for hours for a bit of info on the subject but have given me all I need to know. the short plastic ones look nice but I might save and get the aliminum set they look even better thankyou so much for your detailed info ps you know your stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers again

I've been running a set of plastic ones on my savage-x for a few years (6-9 gallons) of bashing and have yet to mess with them. I know I'm running thicker oil (probably 40weight) than what was in them (30 weight) and heavier springs as well. I use the white hellfire #86553 springs. I run this with the short stiff spring in place as well as relatively tall collars. I think I took the tall flux collar and cut them in half. Has been a while.

I have a new spare set of the shocks in my parts bin. I was afraid I'd blow a shock or two after all my previous shock experiences, but have yet to need them.

2015-1106-SavageX-TBoneSkid-ExhaustHigh.jpg

The alloy ones look nicer, but just letting you know the plastic ones hold up well too.

Yeah, I used those long tubes, but cut them in half so I didn't have to use clips. I think the first flux or e-savage was setup without the secondary springs.

thanks guys for all the info going really useful not sure about the hpi ones now you showed me the lst ones now there what you call big bore which lst shocks are they and do you need to modify your savage in any way or are they a straight swop they look expensive but cant find them on line here in uk wanted to get the ofna likage kit too but cant find them either tried ebay no good

thanks guys for all the info going really useful not sure about the hpi ones now you showed me the lst ones now there what you call big bore which lst shocks are they and do you need to modify your savage in any way or are they a straight swop they look expensive but cant find them on line here in uk wanted to get the ofna likage kit too but cant find them either tried ebay no good

I have them mounted with the IRC kit. You're in luck being in the UK, as that is where IRC is.

Shocks:
http://www.innovative-rc.com/complete-shock-sets-c-27_52_153_159.html

Mounting kits:
http://www.innovative-rc.com/shock-mounting-parts-c-27_52_111.html

I have them mounted with the IRC kit. You're in luck being in the UK, as that is where IRC is.

Shocks:
http://www.innovative-rc.com/complete-shock-sets-c-27_52_153_159.html

Mounting kits:
http://www.innovative-rc.com/shock-mounting-parts-c-27_52_111.html
cant believe that you live thousands of miles away you know that shop and I have never seen it and its a good shop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for that don't suppose you know where I can get the throttle/brake ofna linkage sets do you ?

cant believe that you live thousands of miles away you know that shop and I have never seen it and its a good shop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for that don't suppose you know where I can get the throttle/brake ofna linkage sets do you ?
With OFNA out of business, your probably better off just finding a throttle linkage set on ebay from some other company. All the "OFNA" mod is, is replacing the stock servo mounted saver with a solid horn, then using sliders, collars and springs on the wire for a more positive brake and predictable throttle.

With OFNA out of business, your probably better off just finding a throttle linkage set on ebay from some other company. All the "OFNA" mod is, is replacing the stock servo mounted saver with a solid horn, then using sliders, collars and springs on the wire for a more positive brake and predictable throttle.
oh didn't know that will have to do a bit of research !!!!!!!!!!

Alloy on metal wires will cause electrical interference. Also cause binding eventually. Better off with plastic sliders.
sorry meant the other end the bracket that's attached to carb spring and metal rod to servo horn also what are the four metal parts that you can slide and lock either side of the springs called ?

Latest posts

Members online

Back