Beware red loctite!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Delorme

Thought people might benefit from a warning about the use of red loctite. When I tried to pull my motor out, I stripped out the head of one of the screws because they used red loctite on the motor bolts. A tip here that I've used before is to apply heat to the bolt to degrade the loctite. The easiest way to do this is to press a hot soldering iron to the head of the bolt. This can help ease the removal of these bolts. When putting them back in, I'm using BLUE loctite which doesn't hold as hard, but allows you to actually get them out again!

Here's the vid of my red loctite woes. Notice how that bolt came part way out THEN stripped both the bolt and the stock wrench:

Did your Savage Octane come from the factory with red loctite on it or was this purchased used? Just surprised to see red being used from the factory as it's more of a nearly permanent solution. Curious why HPI would go with red over blue which is much more commonly used in the hobby. Maybe the head gets that much hotter?

I bought this new at my LHS and I'm pretty sure it had red from the factory. In the instruction manual it tells you to use red when putting the motor back in and I was left scratching my head... why would they do that? Anyhow, to each their own, but it's my suggestion to go with blue. That's what I'm doing. If I have problems with bolts falling out, I'll certainly let people know.

Interesting. I could only assume it would be either a heat or vibration issue they are worried about and going with Red loctite instead. Not that red is bad, it's just that much harder to break apart and is going to need heat applied before trying to take the screw(s) out.

Speaking of loctite though, I've been using the loctite stick version of blue for years now and love it. No worries about it spilling or drying out. Goes exactly where I want it. They even make it in red loctite stick too. :)

My guess is it's a cover your butt thing from HPI. As you guys have already said though, red is not practical for someone who does any amount of bashing and modding. Only place I could see using it is the transmission.

I agree Woodie, the stick is the way to go!

This is what you are looking for:
http://www.henkelna.com/adhesives/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797953851393
248.jpg

I use both blue and red. I only use the red on the screws that secure the motor to the mount and the screws that secure the motor mount to the plate. Been doin it that way for yrs and have never stripped a screw head, even usin cheap allen wrenches. I use blue locktite on all the other screws that are removed more often.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back