Best Shocks? yes...they are.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSlax06

The CEN Genesis Piggyback shocks are the best shocks you can buy.

They are ridiculously smooth and have a nice beefy rod. No bent rods here. I also went the extra step and got mine TiNi coated for the looks and smoothness.

Only problem is they are a tad short, so I am fabbing up a bracket to give me my ride height back while still giving me that droop I love. I'm going to write up a full review once I get the Towers sorted out.

Oh, they are dirt cheap on ebay too.

That is at rest, and they don't bottom out until about 4 feet. Which is fine, but I want a little more so thats why I'm fabbing up some mounts. Also going to try and make some anti-sway bars. Just need to find some wire/rod.

Thanks for looking, tune in tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to disagree but I do- I had a set-while they are cheap I found the length to be quite a bit shorter (fully extended) but most importantly to me was the travel was quite a bit shorter as well. I am sure these would be a great shock set-up for a Racer,but not for my bashing ways- I want as much ride height and travel as possible so I run the stockers (cheap as well).
Dave

I made a simple bracket to give me full ride height but it still droops to where I want it.

For you bashers, buy 8 of these.

Well I did give a set to Moto-has anyone seen him around lately???
He could tell us what he thinks about them.....
Dave

I made a simple bracket to give me full ride height but it still droops to where I want it.

For you bashers, buy 8 of these.

yup...I have 8 (with the white/stiffer springs) on my all aluminum behemoth, and 4 (with the red lighter springs) on my racer...

Well I have looked at them and almost bought them on several occasions. I'm trying to hold out until the HPI Big Bore Shocks come out, or whenever they come out. My stocks are doing fine still, but noticing alot more droop lately. So it may be time for a redo, I can get the CEN's off ebay like easy and cheap, so I may give them a try also just to see.

I like the idea, and look of the LST's. But man are they expensive. Plus you got to change to regular Savage arms, buy the mount, etc, etc...CEN's look as if they would mount perfectly on my Integy Shock Mounts. But I'm also debating on switching over to a modified Hellfire shock mount for a racer...who knows, decisions..decisions.

Well guys, I'm finally here :stickspank:
I can end this debate because I have had: Stock Shocks, Hot Bodies Alloy Threaded Shocks, CEN Genesis x4 and x8, IRC Shocks.

Hot Bodies - ****
Stock shocks - Good for all round bashing and racing.
CEN x 4 - Perfect for On-Road racing
CEN x 8 - Good for Off-Road racing, small jumps
IRC Shocks - Full on bashing, huge Jumps

All up, the CEN aren't the best for bashing due to the length.
If someone does make up a bracket that will hold up and make it sit higher, then these would be great shocks!
Here are some pictures to show you the height of each setup:

Stock Setup:

DSC01553.jpg

Hot Bodies Alloy W/25mm Internal Limiters:

DSC01568.jpg

Cen Genesis x4:

DSC01707.jpg

Cen Genesis x8:

DSC01747.jpg

IRC Shocks:

DSC01853.jpg

Well I hope I helped clear this one up and help everyone out guys!

stroke length with the CEN are MORE than made up for by the sheer beefiness of the shocks and the double thick shock shafts though...8 of them would MORE than outperform stock Sav shocks...and for the price, you could replace them several times over for the price of the LST shocks and required conversion kit...

in my mind...best of both worlds...

as far as a bracket, look into the nova racing shock towers...you should almost get the same ride height with them as with the stock setup...

Glad you finally signed up CS. I agree I have 8 of these shocks on a savage and they are the best. They are also cheap and tough as nails.

Made a cheap bracket to get my height back.

great job,don't forget the engine plate screw

ok where are you guys finding those cen shocks cheep on ebay ???????? ive been lookin to get some spares/replacements for my brother in law (he broke one on his genesis a week or so ago!....As for me i stick to the stockers, can get stock xss shocks full set(8) for like $15 shipped.....

yep I'm sticking with the stockers for now myself, they seem to work fine for what i do with my truck and as was mentioned there cheap!! lol

ok where are you guys finding those cen shocks cheep on ebay ???????? ive been lookin to get some spares/replacements for my brother in law (he broke one on his genesis a week or so ago!....As for me i stick to the stockers, can get stock xss shocks full set(8) for like $15 shipped.....

by cheap, we mean they are cheaper than the LST's they ARE a tad more than stock Savage shocks, but you won't bend them anywhere near as easily as the stock ones either...it's all in the perspective :)

also, just like anything on eBay, it's all in the timing...sometimes stuff goes dirt cheap...other times people pay more than retail...so go figure...

The shocks are huge compared to the stockers, but not as big as the LST's. Just run 4 pair with the right oil and wallah! Only thing bad is like mentioned by the thread maker, it like eliminates droop with the stock towers without some sort of custom bracket. Adjustable towers would be a A+ with these shocks. I got 4 off ebay, and probably going to get 4 more with stiffer springs. The ones I got came with the white springs and 30 weight oil already added.

The shocks are huge compared to the stockers, but not as big as the LST's. Just run 4 pair with the right oil and wallah! Only thing bad is like mentioned by the thread maker, it like eliminates droop with the stock towers without some sort of custom bracket. Adjustable towers would be a A+ with these shocks. I got 4 off ebay, and probably going to get 4 more with stiffer springs. The ones I got came with the white springs and 30 weight oil already added.

the white springs ARE the stiffer ones...the red ones are the lighter ones...they are the only ones I've ever seen available for the CEN, unless there's some aftermarket ones out...

by cheap, we mean they are cheaper than the LST's they ARE a tad more than stock Savage shocks, but you won't bend them anywhere near as easily as the stock ones either...it's all in the perspective :)

also, just like anything on eBay, it's all in the timing...sometimes stuff goes dirt cheap...other times people pay more than retail...so go figure...

Yeah I got a set of 8 for 7 bucks. Komo's right it's all timing.

Ok, this may be a stupid question - but are these Genesis shocks a simple direct swap for the stock shocks? As in - take the old ones off - put these on - no extra parts needed?

I might pick up a set from ebay - they ARE pretty cheap and while I'm not a racer - I don't really bash my truck real hard (except the Soccer Goal Incident) so these might be nice!

yup...they will bolt right on in place of your stock ones...as mentioned, your truck will sit lower, but no extra parts will be needed...

I'm working on setting up my truck with 4 cen shocks for racing. What weight oil are you using komo?

Latest posts

Members online

Back