Best out of the box, non-modded engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axoman

My wife has been asking me what I want for Christmas, so I suggested a new engine for the Savage.

From searching on here, I've narrowed the engine choices down to the LRP .28 spec 3 and the Picco non-turbo .28.

Which is more user friendly and reliable? Which has best performance?

Please keep in mind that I don't plan on modding them at this point, so stock for stock, which is the better choice?

There is a $30 between the two, is the Picco worth the extra money?

I'm no expert when it comes to engines, but I'm pretty sure unmodded the LRP .28 is the better of the two.
(But if you were to mod them the Picco wins.)

I'm no expert when it comes to engines, but I'm pretty sure unmodded the LRP .28 is the better of the two.
(But if you were to mod them the Picco wins.)

That's kind of what my research on the site suggests as well. But it also appears some people have more trouble with the LRP.

In terms of reliability and longevity, is one much better than the other?

What about parts? I've seen threads where people say they have a hard time finding pistons/sleeves for the LRP.

Forgot to add that I run the LRP Z.28R Spec 3 (unmodded) with an ERCM end bleed pipe and it is awesome! Huge power and high rpm's.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Admin-Bank edit/fail

Mike what Part of this text is yours here below( I made a opsy) :

LRP's can be found cheap enough that it's not really worth investing in piston sleeves anyway. I think others will probably agree. I got mine for $160 brand new. I don't know what piston and sleeves normally cost but I believe it's more than half of that. Your better off just getting a whole new mill when it wears out.

i run 2 lrps and never had any problems, easy break in and they hold a tune pretty good. so in terms of reliability i would say the lrp but i would have to say the picco will out last the lrp in terms of quality. also i heard unmodded the lrp makes a bit more power but they are pretty close.

forgot to add that i find parts for the mills on ebay pretty cheap

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to add that I run the LRP Z.28R Spec 3 (unmodded) with an ERCM end bleed pipe and it is awesome! Huge power and high rpm's.

I'll be upgrading from the .25 (modded according to the article on it, which helped it a lot), so I think I'll see a big difference in either.

I was originally wanting the Picco, but now I'm starting to sway towards the LRP.

Is it agreed that the LRP .28 Spec 3 is a better option than the LRP .30 Spec 2?

I used the LRP .28 spec 3 for a while with ERCM side bleed pipe and man did that motor rip... i had no problems tuning it after i replaced the exhaust gasket since the stock one was too loose around the header and was letting gasses escape.

All i can say is that LRP is not too picky about the tune and it will hold a tune like a champ giving you tons of power to take you over any hurdle that my get in front of your savage

I'll be upgrading from the .25 (modded according to the article on it, which helped it a lot), so I think I'll see a big difference in either.

I was originally wanting the Picco, but now I'm starting to sway towards the LRP.

Is it agreed that the LRP .28 Spec 3 is a better option than the LRP .30 Spec 2?

i haven't owned a lrp but wasnt impressed with a stock picco .28 over any other stock mill. the pull-start is crap & did not last through break in so i replaced it with a k4.6ho pull.

personally, after seeing many lrp's bash with me, i would buy one. hpisf member londoner got the .30 lrp because of difficulty getting the .28 in UK and i was extremely impressed with the videos he posted. that mill absolutely ripped & he was very pleased with it.

me i had an lrp .28 and won't buy one again, that engine wouldn't run right to save my life, even after sending it in for AE for warrenty the thing still wouldn't tune, break in was easy though. always had trouble with it taking off, had to feather it no matter were i had the LSN set i had it almost all the way in an still had to feather the throttle or it would die. i had so many problems with that engine never again will i get one, (thats just me of course). also read the lrp has carb is issues it won't start again till its cooled down something about getting to hot and the fuel boils back out so if you let it die you have to wait till it cools before you can start it, which explains why i had trouble starting when it was hot and died.

i know own a picco (stock) with a ofna 086 pipe, and in the prosses of break in, so i can't say to much about it. so i would get a picco.

me i had an lrp .28 and won't buy one again, that engine wouldn't run right to save my life, even after sending it in for AE for warrenty the thing still wouldn't tune, break in was easy though. always had trouble with it taking off, had to feather it no matter were i had the LSN set i had it almost all the way in an still had to feather the throttle or it would die. i had so many problems with that engine never again will i get one, (thats just me of course). also read the lrp has carb is issues it won't start again till its cooled down something about getting to hot and the fuel boils back out so if you let it die you have to wait till it cools before you can start it, which explains why i had trouble starting when it was hot and died.

i know own a picco (stock) with a ofna 086 pipe, and in the prosses of break in, so i can't say to much about it. so i would get a picco.

Thanks for posting your experience. What did you end up doing with that engine?

What fuel where you running and did you seal the engine?

sold it on ebay for 85 bucks posted everything i was having trouble with it too still sold.

was running 30% byrons gen 2 and yes i did seal it thing still wouldn't run right.

Ive had 3 Lrps 2 are spec 3 truggys. To my knowledge the one .28 s3 I bought years ago is still running in a members truck here today. I sold it and got a picco. Stock it was lame and didnt touch my lrp. Modded it was fast and ran hard but super hard to tune, I would not recommend a drag mod picco to a new nitro tuner. I have now sold that as well and have my JPracing Novarossi 528 back in the savage.

If I were to do it again in that price range, Id get a LRP over the picco and just have fun ...

My next motor will be a modded OS 28 modded to work in a savage. This is a 400 buck proposition to sit in a closet... Hmmm

Side note to Mike and combuster I messed up your posts editing the thread. I'm sorry ..... half of Mikes is now on combusters lol my bad

Last edited by a moderator:
Now it nuked both posts to unicorns OMG !~ wth is wrong with the admin panel

Guys, get me in the shout I don't even know who wrote what to fix this ...

Ive had 3 Lrps 2 are spec 3 truggys. To my knowledge the one .28 s3 I bought years ago is still running in a members truck here today. I sold it and got a picco. Stock it was lame and didnt touch my lrp. Modded it was fast and ran hard but super hard to tune, I would not recommend a drag mod picco to a new nitro tuner. I have now sold that as well and have my JPracing Novarossi 528 back in the savage.

If I were to do it again in that price range, Id get a LRP over the picco and just have fun ...

My next motor will be a modded OS 28 modded to work in a savage. This is a 400 buck proposition to sit in a closet... Hmmm

Side note to Mike and combuster I messed up your posts editing the thread. I'm sorry ..... half of Mikes is now on combusters lol my bad

Justin, PM me details about that modded OS 28 please. Axo, I've never ran the LRP or the Picco. I've only be able to afford low priced budget mills. So far, I'm pleased with my axial (but it's been modded). Only problem I had with it is the carb but I swapped it out for another I had on hand. Now, it's just gettin it tuned in is the fun part. But my next mill is gonna be a more high end modded motor. Lookin to get the Picco cuz that's what I've mainly seen vids of modded, but it's still all up in the air.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I recommended the LRP to the wife for Christmas.

After the LRP is done, maybe I'll step up to a modded Picco.

I'm sure the difference between my s25 and the LRP will be huge! I can't wait!

i think your gonna love that LRP. Just be sure to take your time & break in & then run in properly.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back