Bent engine mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savagebeast93

Hi all,
The 3 speed transmission on my savage recently smashed itself to pieces...

I took everything apart last night after fitting new transmission parts. I noticed that the engine mount is very slightly bent by a couple of MM or so. Could this have been the cause? I did not threadlock the set screws of the transmission and feel like this was the main issue (yes I'm an idiot). However, could a slight bend like this cause bigger problem else where in the drive train? I am going to try and heat it up and knock it back flat, failing that I will just get a new one.

cheers

It likely wouldn't have hurt the internal gears, but may have chewed up the spur/cb. Unless it was so bad and went unnoticed for so long that it was pressing the bell into the spur gear adding load to the top/input shaft. Guessing that would have shown up early to you though with bad mesh and a melted spur/damaged bell or blown bell bearings before the internals of the trans died.

It likely wouldn't have hurt the internal gears, but may have chewed up the spur/cb. Unless it was so bad and went unnoticed for so long that it was pressing the bell into the spur gear adding load to the top/input shaft. Guessing that would have shown up early to you though with bad mesh and a melted spur/damaged bell or blown bell bearings before the internals of the trans died.

Thing is, I did have the bearing fail, which in turn caused my clutch bell to get chewed up! This was a while back though and the car had been sat for years before I took it off the guys hands, and who know how often he replaced those bearings? I got some ceramic ones and put those in there and it has been absolutely fine since. It may have even been the set screw at the end of the crank that wiggled itself loose and everything came flying off. Bu8t I've since thread locked that.

I think the trans detonated because one of the set screws actually backed out as I forgot to threadlock them when I reassembled the transmission. I found a sheared off grub screw that looked like the culprit.

The very slight bend in the mount plate actually makes the clutch bell sit very slightly down wards rather than pushing up and putting pressure on the spur. I dunno. I am going to try and straighten it out anyway. It is barely noticeable unless you lay it on a flat surface, and only then it is about 0.5 - 1 mm out of line.

When I was working on my X most recently, my engine plate was cracked half way across on the rear of the engine flush where it meets the cross beam. That was causing some spur/bell issues for me, not real sure how it got cracked either as I don't think I've landed hard on the engine. I do recall last year when I ran it I overshot a jump and landed on the center TVP's on a curb from about 12 feet in the air... perhaps that impact just caused it from the weight of the engine.

I forgot a screw in my savage transmission back when I had one with a 3 speed. I was adjusting the 3 speed 1->2 shift point while out bashing and I "lost" a screw... found it a couple minutes later as it grenaded the gears in the transmission while driving.

“Clutch bell sit very slightly downwards” lends itself to my theory that something got between the clutch and spur causing all that damage. I would definitely replace the motor plate when replacing the engine mount.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back