Benefits of aluminium shocks??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiend

Oh no it's Fiend with the damn questions again. But this one is a simple one - see the title. Current shocks are lasting okay, I've broken one shock body, fixed it and got some spares. Refilled oil and don't get much leakage etc. Is it worth upgrading to aluminium ones, given it would be a total of £90 (and my main motivation is that I really like orange stuff on my XS :bored: )??

Plastic housings have a greater chance of leaking, due to being more flexible. Not sure if I would buy aluminum housings just as an upgrade, but if you have issues I would definitely look into them as an upgrade.

Less likely to pop a cap as well since the threads are stronger. Oil doesn't get as dirty because the plastic isn't grinding away on both the inside of the shock and the shock disk. Probably also smoother operation because of the same reason.

Cheers guys. Only had a couple of small leaks, both times due to me not tightening the large hex bits up as much as I should. No other issues with the stock shocks apart from the one breakage.

Hpi makes a shock set specific to the xs that is orange. same ones that came in the kit version, but yes they are expensive $80 or more. look on eBay (again) for specific parts #s or 103mm shocks would work also.. you may find the right size that is used on a different model (like I did) I was able to find purple aluminum ones made by hpi. they are softer but the motion is a lot more fluid & smooth. I have more stiff hot racing shocks on the rear. it seams to work well. the front ones suck up all the bumps and allows the front end to squat in high speed turns. the hot racing shocks are all aluminum & $20 a pair. I'm satisfied. I use 45wt oil, and I wouldn't mind trying something a little stiffer.but just for a durability issue it's a yes and definitely a yes for better handling. you don't have to go broke buying aluminum shocks. you can always change out oil & springs to your liking. Be cautious & research each product you like, there are quite a few companies that sell less than acceptable aluminum products.

Latest posts

Members online

Back