Bell spur gear rubbing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zep71

hey guys Please help me i upgraded slipper bell and spur gear its seems like the bell rubs on the spur gear. Please take a look if this picture shows up.

Attachments

• 20171113_175012.jpg
    20171113_175012.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 4
Looks like the clutch bell is out a bit far to me, did you put the shims in the right places or perhaps the bell is a bit taller than your stock one was? I would pull the :ercm: and check if the bearings are seated and the height of the 2 bells.... some do need to be shimmed more than others, but the inside of the bell should be close to the flywheel and have just enuff not to rub....

should the bell fit tighter to the fly wheel i it has a 3 shoe clutch, i pushed them down tight but i can't seem to make the bell tighter to the flywheel

DSCN1927.jpg

DSCN6847.jpg

DSCN1930.jpg

see in my pics how it is setup, I am using an XL clutch set in mine and there is just a slight bit of room between the bell and the flywheel.... did you also change the collet on the flywheel, some are longer than others and will push the bell out like that, or if you have shims between the inner bearing and the collet nut it will do the same thing.....

Looks like the clutch bell is out a bit far to me, did you put the shims in the right places or perhaps the bell is a bit taller than your stock one was? I would pull the :ercm: and check if the bearings are seated and the height of the 2 bells.... some do need to be shimmed more than others, but the inside of the bell should be close to the flywheel and have just enuff not to rub....
i was thinking it should be closer when you say shimmed you mean on the end of the bell where the screw is?

Things to look for are if you used a new flywheel nut or collet make sure they are the same height, and the bell should sit just at or very near the lip where the shoes ride on the flywheel...

no. shims are going to be behind the inside bearing on the bell side, maybe a couple when you take off the bell, they will be on the inside end of the crankshaft nearest the flywheel, as in my last pic you can see the nut holding on the flywheel, if there are shims there remove them and then slide on the bell and see if it fits better....

Posting a couple of well lit clear pics may help us see what you have

when i remove this barring the bell sits a good bit closer what do i need to do?

Attachments

• 20171113_183239.jpg
    20171113_183239.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20171113_183310.jpg
    20171113_183310.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 2
Does that inside bearing fit snugly on the shaft, it looks to be kinda crooked in that blurry pic ??

The shoes look to be seated and all, but something about that inside bearing does not look right, either the flywheel nut is out too far or is different than stock I can not tell by your pictures...
I use Photobucket to host my pictures and then just copy IMG and paste into the forum so the pic shows full size....

I did check the first and second pic by making them full size, but the first pic IS quite blurry and difficult to see well enough...
well the only thing you can do is take it all apart and check and recheck, did you change the flywheel nut or not,? how about the brass collet under the flywheel? as I stated above there are differences in both at times and it is easy to check....

are there any shims under the inside bearing as I asked above also ? in your second pic there is quite a large gap until the bell is close enough to the flywheel where the shoes ride at so I think your trouble lies somewhere in that area.....

the truck came with a Picco .26 that had a bad connecting rod so i got the dynamite put the flywheel the nut and the little cone shaped brass all came off the original motor when i got it.

Better, I do not see any shims but the flywheel nut does look to be a bit far out there... is the nut tight all the way??

you should measure both Crankends also to make sure they are the same length... there are differences in engines at times and you need to make sure they match up,

Thank you that's solid advice i am going to pull the clutch off, here is where the problem lies. i don't know what i should even look for

the truck came with a Picco .26 that had a bad connecting rod so i got the dynamite put the flywheel the nut and the little cone shaped brass all came off the original motor when i got it.

See how it just turned from a simple bell alignment problem to a possible issue with the crankshaft or something different in engines, there could be a longer snout on the Dynamite engine VS the Picco engine.... without clear pics of both it is going to be difficult to diagnose from my position.....

the picco shaft is a little shorter i found another nut not sure if it would fix the problem

The nut on the left is the one that was on there the one on the right was in the spare parts i got with it.

Attachments

• 20171113_204719.jpg
    20171113_204719.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 3
could i have put that nut upside down i know the cone end was up

I spend more time working on this savage then running it. after going over the manual i now see the shims and washers needed. i got the part numbers and ordered those. i will get it right one of these times. oh yea clutch springs to. i have a stock motor Savage 21 i got last week loads of parts for that on the way. should be busy after all parts show up.

I just want to say thank you to Jam Racing 1!! you pointed me in the correct direction seem to me the bell is going to sit in the correct position after changing the nut. i have to wait for the clutch spring and shims to put it back together.maybe i can get some run time after all this.

I just want to say thank you to Jam Racing 1!! you pointed me in the correct direction seem to me the bell is going to sit in the correct position after changing the nut. i have to wait for the clutch spring and shims to put it back together.maybe i can get some run time after all this.
In a pinch, I've ground down the back of the nut to make it thinner. Sometimes you have room for this. However, in some instances, the threads on the crank stick out of the nut already and you can't get the bearing down far enough because it hits the threads. That said, I haven't had one yet that had the threads so long as to not be able to shim it to get it to fit ok.

hey Guys thanks to Jam Racing 1 he figured out that the nut that holds the flywheel one was not right. it turns out he was right it was to long. i replaced it with a shorter one put it back together and it worked great.i could have saved a bunch of spur gears had i known what Jam Racing 1 knows. now its a matter of tuning it up if the rain ever stops.

Latest posts

Back