Beefing up the 3Speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy1822

Savage Owner
Well I got tired of seeing shredded 3spds, but also want the top end that the 3spd has to offer so I thought up a way to combine the 3spd rotationals with the 2spd drive gears. Since it seem taht most failures come from the whimpy thin 3spd drive gears. The 2spd gears are more than twice as thick.
transmission2.jpg

gear.jpg

t.jpg

Notice in that last pic, I cut the collar off the stock 2spd gear. I also did a tad bit of dremel work to the back side to allow for smooth rotation. Not much is needed. Just take a tint bit off see below.
tr.jpg

This allows everything to fit nicely on the shaft. Make sure everything spins freely.
tra.jpg

Now for this to work, you MUST flip the output shaft around teh other way to line the gears up. Just take it out and flip it.
transmi.jpg

transm.jpg

Now everything meshes nicely. Remember to shim your tranny as your doing this to eliminate slop and ensure a nice fit.
transmis.jpg

Of course you need the 3spd top gears. Everythings done and lines up nicely.
transmiss.jpg

I didnt take a final pic, but the brakes, spur, etc. all bolt on and line up proper with no issues. I cant wait to try it out.

Jimmy that kicks butt. +rep.

wondering if she'd hold up to a flux :thinking:

nice work!!! looks promising for a flux! may bring temps down if we have a first and second gear rather than just locking it in second???

Hey bro can you provide the Parts #'s if possible? It looks like a different idler and 2 speed gear used.

i am waitting my 3speed arrival.. after arrival i going to transfer my 2speed gear box and beef up my 3 speed.. ^^ i wonder can it handle flux power ? i think nearly impossible.. if it can work with flux i think flux can reach at least 70++ MPH

So the modification worked for about 1,000 cc of nitro, but now I have to open it up to take a look. It was running fine then is frooze up.

Ok so after opening the transmission, it was the 1st to 2nd set screw that was backed out. No damage, I just put lock tight on that set screw. I will run again to test tommorrow.

Ok so after opening the transmission, it was the 1st to 2nd set screw that was backed out. No damage, I just put lock tight on that set screw. I will run again to test tommorrow.

sweet thanks for the update. lucky catch pre-damage!

Additional modification recommendation

Since the modification I have not broken anything in the transmission. Thanks Jimmy for passing on the information on the modification.

Recent findings and additions to the modification is recommended to reduce friction and future damage.

As I was changing out my bearings I found the idler gear was rubbing against the transmission case.

dfe61b1d.jpg

5dac7554.jpg

ff824a52.jpg

This is what you need to fix it.

Grind a little

a0c95108.jpg

31c5d212.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back