Battery Charger Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frddyj

I know -0- about batteries, chargers, terminology & all that. I plugged my hump pack into the wall charger for many hours before my last bash & got to the bash side with a dead hump pack.:duh:
I'm looking to buy a charger that can handle pretty much any battery & i have my eye on this intellipeak ice
Here are my questions:
1. when i connect my battery, will it tell me if the battery is actually charging? or if the battery i no good?
2. can i get (or solder up) a connector to charge my glow ig?
3. talks about 'discharge.' should i discharge my batts before charging?
Thanks for any help that you can give bro's; it was a real bummer charging my hump pack to have it dead at the bash. Luckily Judicator pulled 1 out of another r/c & hooked me up for the day

Last edited by a moderator:
i know the hump pack I'm using needed to be charged for like 16 hours for the first charge how long was yours on the charger?

Q 1 yes, IDK about the bad cell part
Q 2 Yes:
Battery Types, # of cells:
1-10 Nickel Cadmium cell (1.2-12V)
1-10 Nickel Metal Hydride cells (1.2-12V)
Q 3 Yes, cycling them is very good for them

Q 1 yes, IDK about the bad cell part
Q 2 Yes:
Battery Types, # of cells:
1-10 Nickel Cadmium cell (1.2-12V)
1-10 Nickel Metal Hydride cells (1.2-12V)
Q 3 Yes, cycling them is very good for them

Thanks Bank, so based on my batteries & this rechargers' capabilities (& 5 yr warranty) i think I'm gonna pick 1 up

i know the hump pack I'm using needed to be charged for like 16 hours for the first charge how long was yours on the charger?

Hey Addict, thanks for hittin' my thread bro. i did charge my pack for about a day & hit it with my temp gun till it reached 100 degrees F & it rocked for many hours bashin' problem was i 'recharged' it several times for many hours & the red light was glowing on my cheap wall charger but apparently, some where along the line, the recharge power wasn't hittin' my pack.
I think that for under $150.00 this charger will handle every battery that i currently own (including my son's electric MT) & i will still be able to use it in the event that i get into a LiPo pack someday..... i am looking forward to getting rid of the tangled mess of chargers that i have accumulated.

The link below is to the best charger for my needs. This one charger eliminated 3. It will charge your rotostart battery, receiver pack, and glow plug all at the same time. It's a peak charger, so plug it in, hit the button and wait for it to "beep" at you. It's DC only and that's fine since I use a DC power supply at home and then just hook it to the vehicle battery if I need to charge something. Bargain at $50.

Field Charger Link

The link below is to the best charger for my needs. This one charger eliminated 3. It will charge your rotostart battery, receiver pack, and glow plug all at the same time. It's a peak charger, so plug it in, hit the button and wait for it to "beep" at you. It's DC only and that's fine since I use a DC power supply at home and then just hook it to the vehicle battery if I need to charge something. Bargain at $50.

Field Charger Link

Nite, that looks like a pretty good deal for $50.00.

Thanks Bank, so based on my batteries & this rechargers' capabilities (& 5 yr warranty) i think I'm gonna pick 1 up
After a lot of help & info from my bro's at hpisf (and talkin to the lhs) here is what i picked up Hyperion AC/DC charger
& here is why i decided on it.
#1 Capability Charges 1-14 NiMH or Nicd, 1-6 LiPo & 1-6 A123 cells. so it will charge all batteries i have & has room to grow to LiPo
#2 AC/DC it is a very small charger, fits in my pit box & can charge off a car battery. No DC Pack is required. Also for Bank, AC/DC is a band from the 80's & 90's
#3 priceunder $150.00
#4 cycles your batteriesdischarge->charge & vice versa
Only charges 1 battery at a time, but so far i like it.

After a lot of help & info from my bro's at hpisf (and talkin to the lhs) here is what i picked up Hyperion AC/DC charger
& here is why i decided on it.
#1 Capability Charges 1-14 NiMH or Nicd, 1-6 LiPo & 1-6 A123 cells. so it will charge all batteries i have & has room to grow to LiPo
#2 AC/DC it is a very small charger, fits in my pit box & can charge off a car battery. No DC Pack is required. Also for Bank, AC/DC is a band from the 80's & 90's
#3 priceunder $150.00
#4 cycles your batteriesdischarge->charge & vice versa
Only charges 1 battery at a time, but so far i like it.

I used this charger for a little over a year and it was a very good choice. Hated to get rid of it but (with the flux build ) i upgraded to the Hyperion 615i Duo Net 3.

I used this charger for a little over a year and it was a very good choice. Hated to get rid of it but (with the flux build ) i upgraded to the Hyperion 615i Duo Net 3.

Fiddyj,
Where did you get the charge leads for the hump pack and part number?

I just take and make a squid with the leads I use. No reason to have 10 conectors hanging all over that you will never use. Deans, Jr, aligator clips is all I need so that's all my squid has.

I just take and make a squid with the leads I use. No reason to have 10 conectors hanging all over that you will never use. Deans, Jr, aligator clips is all I need so that's all my squid has.

you don't use a glow ignitor?

traxxas is good tonhave also. cant buy the parts separate for 11 bucks

I do but I am not going to tie up my charger with charging one that's what overnight wall chargers are for I have an adaptor for it if I really need in my box. But to be honest even the Jr conector is a was as I use wall charger for hump pack too. I am going to take it off next time I have the soldering station out. Even the deans conector can be done with the aligator clips as can almost every conector.

Even the deans connector can be done with the alligator clips as can almost every connector.

I love the fireworks you can get, when you bump the clips and short out a charger. Not for my 720Inet3's my man ... Think that move over a lil bit.

I do but I am not going to tie up my charger with charging one that's what overnight wall chargers are for I have an adaptor for it if I really need in my box. But to be honest even the Jr conector is a was as I use wall charger for hump pack too. I am going to take it off next time I have the soldering station out. Even the deans conector can be done with the aligator clips as can almost every conector.

am i raeding this right? you charge your hump & glow ig with a wall charger when you have the venom charger?

please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

I don't' have enough time to charge what I need to let alone adding my hump pack and ignitors to the mix. The wall chargers do just fine for them. Throw them on once a month to cycle and check voltage thats it.

Racing you need two chargers for your first car and at least one for each additional. I am using cheap peak chargers for the 2/3a packs right now as 1/12 scale keeps my venom fully occupied.

After race night it is needed to cycle all the packs durring the week than the night before I put a full charge in each of them. Race night is just repeak between races.

Trying to keep up with batts for 4 cars is hard.

Plus with hump packs and ignigtors you want a slow charge. The faster the charge goes in the faster it comes out. I will only put it on a fast charge if I need to pump a little more juice into them for a long day of racing or bashing but than again that is why I come with 2 hump packs and 3 ignitors (2 rechargable and 1 c batt that I can use if need be)

I did That went back to the guy I got it from months ago. What I really need now is a individual cell charger for the sub c batts but I am waiting to see what happens with the single cell LiPo stuff first as I may do that if tekin gets things worked out and roar starts a class for it.

ya i just bought a duratrax onyx 200 charger and it charges all of my batts other then the glo plug igniter lol even hump packs and has the peak detection and trickle charge function.. it was like $39.99 from a store named tom's rc.com you should check em out for your battery and charger needs,he received my payment and sent out my order 20 minutes later no fooling.......

Plus with hump packs and ignigtors you want a slow charge. The faster the charge goes in the faster it comes out. I will only put it on a fast charge if I need to pump a little more juice into them for a long day of racing or bashing but than again that is why I come with 2 hump packs and 3 ignitors (2 rechargable and 1 c batt that I can use if need be)

umm, yeah its called 1c?

no way of telling if your pack even took a charge with the wall charger.

not trying to spank you here just hoping that others don't read this and think its a good idea caz its not.

ask jud what happen when my hump pack "got a slow-full charge on a wall charger"

umm, yeah its called 1c?

no way of telling if your pack even took a charge with the wall charger.

not trying to spank you here just hoping that others don't read this and think its a good idea caz its not.

ask jud what happen when my hump pack "got a slow-full charge on a wall charger"

id hhave to agree with frddy on this.. so if i take 3 hours to charge something i should get 3 hours out of it? I need one of those chargers... got a link?

id hhave to agree with frddy on this.. so if i take 3 hours to charge something i should get 3 hours out of it? I need one of those chargers... got a link?

lol, takes more like 12 hrs with a wall plug so you get 12 hrs run time.

I use an icharger 1010b+ just need a power supply for it

If yur gonna buy a charger I'd definitely look for a charger that does LiFe and LiPo batteries. I think LiFe packs have a big future in RCs. On http://www.killerrc.com/store/store.php We sell an Imax charger for $70, and it does all the same stuff that my $300 Hyperion Duo charger does.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back