1. Ask questions. Share your HPI Savage knowledge. Register TODAY!

Welcome to HPISavageForum, a friendly forum to discuss the Savage RC Truck.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barn find savage 25

Discussion in 'HPI Savage' started by Isawdemise, May 18, 2017.

1. Isawdemise

Isawdemise New Member

I was out going to yard sales and found a Savage 25 for 25 bucks and have always wanted to try the rc hobby so I got it. Came with boxes of brand new spare parts. Has stock engine.

I got it started a few times when I give it gas it dies. So I took it all apart and found a big crack in the carb. It's almost in two peices. Now I'm very new to this as in it's my first nitro RC.
    So what's a good direct fit engine that's under 100 I can put In? One that comes with a carb and full setup with piston and heatsink.

2. NitroNick

NitroNick Member

You don't need another engine you just need a new stock carb! Try looking for one on Ebay or something and throw that on there, no need to replace the S25 engine, but it would help if you made sure it was cleaned and everything seems to be moving freely. Also check the glow plug in the engine to make sure that still gets hot, you can get those for like $5.

It's just easier to go through something and inspect it when you get it and smart to change out any wear parts.

Send some pics so we can see what you're working with man

3. NightFlier X4.6

NightFlier X4.6 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum isawdemise

4. NightFlier X4.6

Great find also. And yes pics please

5. Isawdemise

Isawdemise New Member

The glow plug glows red. Also fuel spits out of the heatsink where it connect to the top end. I cleaned it up. I had my friend take a loot at it and he plastic welded the cracks and covered with jb weld. Haven't put it together yet. Working overtime at work so not a lot of time to tinker right now. I've cleaned out most of the engine. Apart from taking the piston out.

Attached Files:

6. NightFlier X4.6

I definitely recommend getting a new carb will save you a lot of head aches.

7. Jam Racing 1

Jam Racing 1 NPTB Monitor, Master of the known universe.... HPISF Staff

Better off getting a new carburetor for the :ercm: the low end needle by the linkage bar is supposed to be flush, but it looks to be damaged severely by someone....

Also while the :ercm: is out you should replace the spur, it looks pretty chewed by something.....

8. EUGENE477

EUGENE477 Active Member

$25? Man, you need to go play the lottery with luck like that. That was the find of the year for sure.
    Did it come with the radio too?
    Congrats.

9. Isawdemise

Isawdemise New Member

Yeah came with everything. Came with 2 extra servos. I've got it started a couple times when I first brought it home just won't stay running. And what's the stock carb part number? Can't seem to find a carb on eBay other then one that fits a f4.6

10. NitroNick

NitroNick Member

The f4.6 and the 25 should be the same carb, owing both they look identical to me at least. Your piston looks fine as well, mine looks similar and Ive only had maybe 3-4 gallons through it so no issues there, if you wanted to you could try and take some of the carbon buildup off the top but its not necessary!

11. NightFlier X4.6

From what I see the 4.6 carb will work

12. Isawdemise

Isawdemise New Member

Ok I'll get the f4.6 carb and I'll also just clean everything out spotless. Thanks everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to play with this soon.

13. olds97_lss

olds97_lss Well-Known Member

Congrats on the purchase!

I've been running nitro for 17+ years. If your serious about running it and do end up getting a new engine, don't try and get by with a $100 special on ebay. Spend a little more and get something name brand. It's worth it in the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted