Baja from scrap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor720

Hey guys. So ive been wanting a fifth scale for a pretty good time but it seems it wont fit the budget. i figured if i slowly bought parts over some period of time the family wont really notice (ninja style). All i want is just a running baja. Doesnt need to be fancy. So any ideas if i should really do this? Parts list?

Take in mind that ive never worked on a fifth scale or ever seen one in personal.
Also, ill also accept donations (if thats allowed lol) or I'll also buy a roller or something close to that if you guys have any lying around. Ps. If anyone is interested i got some stuff I'm willing to trade locally (Calgary) for a 1/5 scale.

Not sure where you have to run it, but may want to think long and hard before buying.

I was on the fence for a long time, then I saw a 5B at an LHS... I started saving and eventually got the 5B SS kit, putting it together resulted in a visit to the ER (my own stupid fault with a drill). After my first run or two with it, I didn't care for it's length and got a short chassis kit to cut a few inches off. Then it was easier to carry down 3 flights of stairs and put in my car.

I think I drove it a total of 10 times, then realized I just didn't have the places to run it and the smell of it in my house after running (even after hosing it down) was too annoying. Apartment life can be aggravating at times. I guess if I had a house with a garage, it would have stayed on a shelf and potentially would have been ran once a year, but honestly, the smell of it would stink up my entire place for a week after running it. With a wife who's prone to migraines, the smell of gas for 3-4 days throughout our home was too much to deal with...

I bought it with the thought that it would make a good winter rig, since it was a ringed engine and would be less fickle in the cold. Starting and running was great. Didn't really do the math on a heavy rig without a lot of ground clearance and 2 wheel drive. Yeah, didn't do well in the snow.

Live and learn I guess. I think I sold it with the shorty conversion I bought, RPM arms, RPM skid, HD alloy shock tower protector, crankcase air/filter kit, sub-c receiver pack and everything it came with originally for $600. I think I had nearly $1300 into it. So, mathed out to more than $70 for each run I had with it. lol

Live and learn I guess. I think I sold it with the shorty conversion I bought, RPM arms, RPM skid, HD alloy shock tower protector, crankcase air/filter kit, sub-c receiver pack and everything it came with originally for $600. I think I had nearly $1300 into it. So, mathed out to more than $70 for each run I had with it. lol

:facepalm:

upload_2017-2-24_7-26-58.png

:D

I would also like to have a 1/5 scale gasser Or the newest offering from CEN racing, the collasus XT/Reeper.
I have plenty of room and storage, and i live in open territory so that wouldnt be an issue either. drive it up into my pickup, drive it back down to run..lol. Cost is my main factor bcause Harley parts come before new Rc projects at my house nowadays.
if you come up with a plan, be sure to let us know. i my take the ninja plan also

Yeah, a really hard decision. But. I have a nice place here in calgary. I live near the edge where a 10 min walk can give you an rc wonderland. And i usually go camping when it gets warm. Id love to get a 1/5 but i don't got the budget (well i do but including other expenses not really). Ive got a couple of more ideas (other than ninja style)
I might just get a used roller, or maybe new if king motor's shipping fee would go down.
Or Just buy a crapped up one then rebuild and replace
Or just wait another oh i don't know 6-12 months (because just bought a new pickup and some other things)
Or Trade some rcs for a used one
Ive been looking for one on kijiji for a good 2 months already. No one is willing to give their baja away. Ill probably wait until april and if i don't find anyone I'm going with the diy scrap baja plan.

EDIT: ive never thought of it before, but would it be cheaper if i did the diy scrap project on a LOSI FIVE? It looks less complex, could possibly use the five b manual to help and it looks like a big 1/8.

Last edited:
You might find better parts support with a Losi rig. Also, if I did a 1/5th scale again, it would be 4wd. 2wd was just not that much fun.

Yeah quite a few. Losi five t or b
Kraken vekta
Fid dragon hammer
Redcat rampages
And there are some others but these i think are the most common

Losi also has the 1/5 monster truck XL and the 1/5 desert buggy XL. Both are very cool looking rigs but are a little pricey.

Also there is the rovan 5b knockoff. I have actually heard a quite bit good about it too. As far as I know it uses all the parts off the HPI 5b.

King motors are expensive in canada. Pretty sure ebay is the cheapest place you can find them. Its like 450- 500 dollars + another 150$ for shipping just for a roller.

Last edited:
Ive been looking at the losi parts and they are hella expensive (chassis plate alone is 300$ on ebay) I think the kraken vekta kit is releasing this year so i might look into doing the scrap project on that this summer. Someone is offering me a 3d printer for 150$ and if i buy it I'm going to push the project until summer. Might be able to 3d print some parts for it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back