Baby oil in your shocks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doginjeep

just wondering if anybody has ever tried this/mineral oil? i am scouring the net to figure out the wt of it is. cant find anything except a bunch of physics related equations and i don't have a lab for that.

I would expect that would not work too well. But thats just a guess. Try it and let us know.

I would think it would be a bit light for what ya need, prolly about 5wt oil in baby oil.... if ya try it let us know how fast it leaks outta the shocks.....

I just found this on another site, regarding hpi shock fluid replacement procedures. I find the idea of the touring car pistons pretty neat, but probably not useful for a basher.
This is from HPI site. I hope this help a little.

HPI Staff
HPI Administrator

The key to rebuilding them is to fill the shock most of the way, let the bubbles rise to the surface, then push the piston all the way to the top of the shock and slowly fill it the rest of the way. If you fill the shocks with the piston down there will be too much pressure and possibly blow an 0-ring or a cap.

The stock oil is #100 (10wt) but it's really a little heavier than that. Try a range of 20wt to 30wt silicone oil for optional viscosities. The teflon pistons (#6818) from our touring cars will fit in the Savage shocks, they have a variety of piston holes to aid in tuning.

Version one of the Savage manual didn't list the weight, version 2 had it incorrectly listed as 100wt, it should have read #100 (10wt). The online manual has been updated.

so the baby oil didnt work. i used a 25wt oil to rebuild the shocks in TheBeater today.

Anything that lubricates will work in a shock....whether it works GOOD or not will depend on the weight of the oil, as you have seen from your experiment. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back