around what temp range should we be staying to prolong engine life?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

hello, i know this has been discussed 1000 times but i just wanted to discuss in 2021, maybe things changed. so i have a savage x 4.6 and i used to use 20% nitro however i just bought a nitro with 30% nitro and 9% oil, i know the oil might be a tad lower but my reasoning was just to run a tad richer and should be the same thing as running more oil.
ever since i put this in my truck it started to wheelie!! so it of course is making a bit more power. however strictly to keep my engine running tip top and prolong the life, what temp range should i be at?

thanks!

There's a lot of variables to the question "what temp". The quick answer ? Anywhere from 200F to 275F . Problem is you will observe varied readings depending on exactly where you point your gage at the engine. Always move your gage around to get a max temp. A safe general temp reading is around 225F . If your in the deep south where the ambient temps are up in the 90'sF you might run hotter than 225F you may be up around 260F . Don't panic if your temps rise above 290F then it's definately time to stop and give the engine some time to cool and possibly check your tune for too lean.

There's a lot of variables to the question "what temp". The quick answer ? Anywhere from 200F to 275F . Problem is you will observe varied readings depending on exactly where you point your gage at the engine. Always move your gage around to get a max temp. A safe general temp reading is around 225F . If your in the deep south where the ambient temps are up in the 90'sF you might run hotter than 225F you may be up around 260F . Don't panic if your temps rise above 290F then it's definately time to stop and give the engine some time to cool and possibly check your tune for too lean.
great thank u, so 200f isnt too rich or too cold right?

Tune according to performance and use temps as secondary info. Common problem is LSN setting which doesnt allow engine to cool down at idle.

Latest posts

Members online

Back