anyone running this sidewinder 30% off road rc fuel? curious about oil content

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

just picked this fuel up at my local hobby shop, i wanted to try a 30% nitro in my savage x 4.6 bb.
i am curious about the oil content in this fuel, i saw on google a website said 20% synthetic oil and that seems very high and then another one said 9% synthetic oil

i was reading that low oil is bad for longevity etc but then i also heard lately that the oils are so good now a days that we don't need 15% of oil to lubricate efficiently

what do yall think
thx!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 5.15.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 5.15.58 PM.png
    841.6 KB · Views: 0
I've been running Blue Thunder Sport 20% nitro / 11% oil . Anywhere between 9-11% is where you want to be. Keep in mind upping your nitro percentage from 20 to 30% might require to add a head button shim so you don't encounter detonation. You will definitely need to retune. I experimented with 30% many years ago and saw no measurable hp gains. I did notice some more frequent engine temp spikes. I ended up back to 20% and honestly the key to sucess is in the tune, not the nitro content.

I've been running Blue Thunder Sport 20% nitro / 11% oil . Anywhere between 9-11% is where you want to be. Keep in mind upping your nitro percentage from 20 to 30% might require to add a head button shim so you don't encounter detonation. You will definitely need to retune. I experimented with 30% many years ago and saw no measurable hp gains. I did notice some more frequent engine temp spikes. I ended up back to 20% and honestly the key to sucess is in the tune, not the nitro content.
thx for the reply! ill test and see how it goes thanks! i was hearing some rumbles that the 4.6bb loves 30% nitro, and sorry I'm a bit of a noob, how can i tell if I'm detonating?

I am running Torco 30% has 9% synthetic and really like it. They make Top Fuel Drag racing fuel so the know what the are doing. Be using it for 3 years with no complaints.

I am running Torco 30% has 9% synthetic and really like it. They make Top Fuel Drag racing fuel so the know what the are doing. Be using it for 3 years with no complaints.
great! what temps do u like to stay in?

Depends on the motor. The Nova likes to run about 240, the LRP likes it more around 200. I try not to chase the tune with the temp gauge too much. Its is easier to add or remove covering over your cooling holes in the body then constantly having to adjust the carb as much. The Picco likes temps like the Nova, must be an Italian thing.

Depends on the motor. The Nova likes to run about 240, the LRP likes it more around 200. I try not to chase the tune with the temp gauge too much. Its is easier to add or remove covering over your cooling holes in the body then constantly having to adjust the carb as much. The Picco likes temps like the Nova, must be an Italian thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Back