Anyone ever use "alternative" shock oil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxz28xx

Anyone ever tried using anything like motor oil, 2 stroke oil, laundry detergent, KY liquid, or any other random lubricating substance found around the house for their shocks? I have the stock shocks on my savy from 2 years ago and they've been thru hell and back, so why not experiment. Just wanted to see if anyone else has tried anything.

LOL !! I have used coke (in a pinch). didn't have any KY on hand LOL !!!

I have used motor oil tho ... worked I guess

lol coke, never thought of that! and who doesnt have KY?!? i was leaning more toward motor oil... did you have a bad experience with it or something? why the "i guess..."?

Why do you want to experiment with different lubes ? just try different grades of silicone oil !

i have used 15w/40 engine oil in my shocks, along with cooking oil,
the engine oil was ok and fairly firm not bad for on road and the cooking oil was a bit lighter which made it better for soaking bumps up . neither had any bad effects on the shocks and was worth the experiment lol .

We took my mates stampede to the skate park the other day. First jump we discovered shock oil was a bit too thick.

I don't see why engine oil wouldn't work. probably a lot cheaper then silicon.

Hi,

I was thinking about this the other day. I think the things you would want to look for is the viscosity, of course, and to make sure whatever you put in there wouldn't melt or break down the plastic or o-rings. I have seen oil melt some kinds of plastic and rubber after a while. I haven't bought any good shocks yet, I guess even the ALU shocks have o-rings in them.

I thought I read a thread in here where you guys were talking about this, unless I dreamed it, I thought a lot of you guys used motor oil. Oh, sh*& I hope I am not actually dreaming about reading threads.

Come to think about it I bought some o-rings for another project not too long ago and they had a chart that showed what o-ring materials held up to what, I think I saved in my favorites-- Here it is in case anyone has had a problem , might help sometime http://www.marcorubber.com/material_chart.htm

John

Man Your Dedicated If You Even Dream About Threads Lol

i used 50wt and it was fairly stiff. i think 90wt would blow the shocks if you were to drop the truck or jump it either taht or it would just bend the shock shafts . Matt

Well I have been using baby oil for over 6 months now-seems perfect for me and bashing only- and I think it's around 20wt and smells wonderful!!!lol Dave

I use 5w motor oil. Works great. I have the alum shocks from HPI. Great in winter as it does not freeze up. Piece.

KY, baby oil , coke.....ect

Now I know just how strange you guys realy are....LMAO!!!!
I love it!!!!

If anyone is wondering why they use silicone fluid, it is just for the fact that it doesnt get whipped up with air bubbles like petrolium oils do from the piston moving up and down rapidly. Also the fluid has better dampening properties and wont break down very easily causing a loss of dampening.

leave the KY and the baby oil in the bedroom.......LOL
cid_002701c7bce20c0910e0d289ff18Des.gif

I second on the Baby oil and KY but I think motor oil is up to the task especially if you get the synthetic stuff (6$/quart is way better than 4$/ounce) the environment in a Car engine has to be more hostile than in our shocks the 5w-30 in my car works from 10 degrees to 100 and I don't bash RC's below 40 and above 90 I think it's ok.

the canola Oil I put in my Javelin as a kid was really inconsistent

KY, baby oil , coke.....ect

Now I know just how strange you guys realy are....LMAO!!!!
I love it!!!!

If anyone is wondering why they use silicone fluid, it is just for the fact that it doesnt get whipped up with air bubbles like petrolium oils do from the piston moving up and down rapidly. Also the fluid has better dampening properties and wont break down very easily causing a loss of dampening.

leave the KY and the baby oil in the bedroom.......LOL
cid_002701c7bce20c0910e0d289ff18Des.gif

I used motor oil before and it work pretty good. It's a little thick but it is good in a pinch.

I used motor oil before and it work pretty good. It's a little thick but it is good in a pinch.

Hey by all means necessity it the mother of invention!!!! If your in a pinch I would prob do the same. But I wouldnt do it on a regular basis.

I'm still cracking up about the KY............:hardlaugh:

I use 5w30, it works great for me. Added bonus, if you run in really cold weather it doesn't freeze up like shock fluid. Peace.

so what weight motor oil would be equivalent to say 30wt shock oil?

The weight system that is used in motor oil I am almost positive is the same as all fluids wether ist shock oil or motor oil. If your going to try motor oil I would try a straight weight oil like 20wt, 30wt ,40wt.....ect. Useing a multi weight like 10w-30 or so might not be a good Idea because its viscosity will change due to temp so your dampening may not stay consistant as weather changes.

Latest posts

Members online

Back