anyone else work in hobby shop ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamskii

I scored a job working in a hobby shop just over a year ago. I am considered an expert in the field of plastic military modelling, having won competitions at nationsal level. I only work on saturday afternoons and have a fulltime factory job during the week.

however plastic models only account for 5 % of sales, with RC being at least 50 % ! Thats why i got a savage... had to learn on something about rc to make sure i could help with customers.. amazing what i have already learnt from you folks that have been passed onto a wider community.

but its great to be able to buy all my spares at staff discount prices, because otherwise it would be a very expensive hobby that i probably couldnt afford.

does anyone else work in a hobby shop? do you feel as guilty as me when some young kid comes in who obviously hasn't any idea about nitro and puts a few hundred hard earned/ saved dollars over the table ? knowing that he ought to probably get electric? i know i do.. sometimes i pass off those sales to others in the shop.

what yous think of that ?

adam

do you feel as guilty as me when some young kid comes in who obviously hasn't any idea about nitro and puts a few hundred hard earned/ saved dollars over the table ? knowing that he ought to probably get electric? what yous think of that ?

adam

I never agreed that electric is a better way to start this hobby. Most are never satisfied with a stock electric rc. Now start adding up good batteries, good charger, the cost to make an electric rc fast. Now that it's fast it needs to be stronger.....Nitro is cheaper, trust me I know. I tried electric for a while, I wasn't satisfied until I had dumped around $1,000 into a $150 rc.

The people that come in wanting nitro won't be satisfied with electric so there is no point in them wasting there money on it. They should buy a nitro, some will learn how to run it and some won't, all you can do is be as helpful as possible and wish them luck.

Next time a youngster want to drop his/her savings on any rc don't pass on the sale (they will buy it anyway)....Instead do your best to help them, make shore they have the right equipment and info they need to get started the right way.

Just my .02

Ok the first R/C I had was the Savage 25. Got it when i turned 12 and am gonna be 14 in march. I am now looking at an electric b/c the nitro just is being a PITA sometimes and I am getting stresed out over it. I need something to run when the savage is sitting like a queen. People here know my truck is NOT a shelf queen. Anywys hopefully I am getting n electric for X-MAS

Latest posts

Members online

Back