1. Ask questions. Share your HPI Savage knowledge. Register TODAY!

Welcome to HPISavageForum, a friendly forum to discuss the Savage RC Truck.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

another "can anyone identify this engine" question

Discussion in 'Nitro Engines' started by Harryjames, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Harryjames

Harryjames New Member

So I've decided to dig in to my old hobby of nitro RC which I haven't touched in over 15 years. I have a savage, RS4 2 and an RS4 3, along with a ton of spares. Not sure where this engine came from, may be the engine that came with the RS4 2 I bought used, but I'm curious if anyone can identify who's the manufacturer. They must not be very proud of it as the only marking on the casting is "Made in Taiwan". The piston and sleeve are shot so unless I can pick one up super cheap its going to be a paper weight.

Attached Files:

2. Jam Racing 1

Jam Racing 1 NPTB Monitor, Master of the known universe.... HPISF Staff

Most likely just a stock HPI 15/18 engine, most had a sticker in that open area on the block and they come off really easy, TBH it is probably more cost effective to just buy a new engine and start fresh than try to rebuild that existing one.....

3. MySavageWillBeatYours

MySavageWillBeatYours Member

^agreed. To me it looks like a Traxxas 15 from the carb and backplate. Not worth rebuilding IMO

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Harryjames

Harryjames New Member

5. Harryjames

Harryjames New Member

Thanks, it makes sense it’s a small block Traxxas. I think it was on the RS4 2 when I first purchased it many years back. Somebody replaced the HPI with this at some point and I had replaced it with an OS. Thanks for the replies!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted