1. Ask questions. Share your HPI Savage knowledge. Register TODAY!

Welcome to HPISavageForum, a friendly forum to discuss the Savage RC Truck.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alternative to the z680 5x8mm flanged nut?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by olds97_lss, Aug 11, 2017.

1. olds97_lss

olds97_lss Well-Known Member

Anyone figure out an alternative to the z680 flange nut? Seems HPI changed the design of the nut in later versions and it's significantly weaker. I've busted 6 of them in the past 2 months on various rigs. The original ones I have on my X and one of my revos have been holding up fine for years. But the ones on my brushless revo and now my savage flux are the newer version and I keep breaking them. The flange breaks off the nut.

You can see the old version vs the current version:
    [​IMG]

And how they break:
    [​IMG]

I know I could do a full hub conversion, that that will be pretty pricey since I have them on 5 trucks. The hub conversion for the revos suck because they get horrible wobble/wear inside the hub, which is why I use these with modified hexes.

2. BBsavage1

BBsavage1 New Member

Try the ones from Axial AX31087. Ok they are not HPI but I think they look good.

3. olds97_lss

olds97_lss Well-Known Member

Good enough for me. Going to order a set and see how they compare. I asked my wife to order a couple sets of HPI ones on amazon (she has the account and shops there a lot). She got 2 sets from the same seller and I received one package of the old and one package of the new. Go figure. Either way, I got both for what people were charging on ebay for these things.

Thanks! I had searched and searched trying to find an alternative. Just an odd thing to search for. 5mm locknutwasher with an 8mm collar... lol!

Got a set of those axials in the mail. Will take some comparison photo's when they show up for others. Looks like the collar on the back isn't too thick, so they should work well on my revo's as well. With the new version of HPI's I had to cut that stupid collar down with a dremel... that was an awful hour of my life. At least 10 cutting disks went to meet their maker. If I didn't cut it down though, the collar would bottom out on the unthreaded part of the axle. Cutting them made them even weaker.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 8:52 PM
    • Like Like x 1