Air intake reducer set

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F-Type

Between the air filter and the carb, HPI has put something they call air intake reducer set, parts 112655 below.

I don't think HPI would put that stuff in there for no good reason (but on the other hand they did put the air filter right behind the wheel for no good reason...)
But anyway,
a) Why put obstacles in the air intake path?
b) What would happen if I were to remove the a and b parts? Short term effects, long term effects?

I have some new parts on order and plan to replace this whole guacamole with a velocity stack and a Losi 5IVE filter directly on the carb, to get it out of the way of the wheel spray.

Air intake reducer set.GIF

I would not recommend removing these as the Savage Octane has been known to have a hard enough time when it comes to tuning. As this likely effects the amount of air being sucked in by the carburetor via the carbs venturi, which can then effect the air velocity and would alter the fuel flow.

That said I don't think you're going to cause any harm but could possibly make tuning the Octane that much harder. If you try it let us know how it works out.

I will try, just not quite yet. Someone suggested that the b part is kind of a back-flame protector, removing it could casue the filter catching fire.
In any case. I am still in break in with my Octane, and decided not to change these things before I've passed break-in (kind of like being pregnant I think, you never know what the next mood will be and it takes forever for it to pop out)

And then again, no wonder it is hard to tune, if HPI needs to put this stuff in there for the car to run properly. I mean, it is not like it is an odd never-before-heard of carb ;) When others put in high flow filters and velocity stacks, HPI fiddles with reducers made of thin plastic foil.

first time post here, I checked mine and it doesn't have one and will not run very well if at all, so I would say leave it in there

Hi Fishcam!

Welcome to the forum! I am a newbie here too, with just a week or two behind me :)

Have I understood you correctly in that you tried without the a and b parts, and the car didn't run well at all when you removed them?

I bought it used and it didn't have them in when I got it, will go back to the hobby shop tomorrow and see if they took it out, from what I understand some of the early models didn't have them, apparently the carbs are too big for a 15cc motor and some need of restrictor is required for proper running.

Ok.

If yours isn't broken in, and you have problems with the engine running proprely, swap the spark plug (or clean it by sand blasting) and use a 7.4 volt LiPo for the ignition. Those two things made wonders for me. I wrote about that in another thread.

I can give it try to remove those parts and see if it makes a difference for me. In a few days. Right now the car is in pieces after a "carnage" as our other friends here on the forum so descriptivly called it :)

Ok.

If yours isn't broken in, and you have problems with the engine running proprely, swap the spark plug (or clean it by sand blasting) and use a 7.4 volt LiPo for the ignition. Those two things made wonders for me. I wrote about that in another thread.

I can give it try to remove those parts and see if it makes a difference for me. In a few days. Right now the car is in pieces after a "carnage" as our other friends here on the forum so descriptivly called it :)

I got the parts in and will install them and try and see if that makes any difference

Great, keep us updated :)

I am still breaking my car in, changing to a sand-blasted spark plug after every tank keeps the car running. If I don't swap, I get the start/stall problems right away.
But on Sunday the car suddenly made a couple of wheelies so it almost flipped over. Though the engine is not running well overall, but at least it is running :/

Latest posts

Back