Adjusting Savage XL 5.9 carb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gofaster75

Hello everybody! Tell me somethin... How do I adjust the slide gap on the carb? I picked up a used XL that's in almost new cond. When it got here it wouldn't start or idle, but I've been fiddling with it, got it running, & seem to have it idling well & running good while on the throttle. No problems until I hit the brakes. Then it cuts off. I removed the air filter & noticed the slide gap just about closes when brakes are applied. Now I've had nitros for more than a few years & do pretty well at tuning, but I've never had this prob before. I've messed with the LSN but that doesn't seem to move it so is it the MSN I want to adjust or do you guys think it's the linkage that needs adjustment?

I would start with adjusting the linkage, turn on everything with the truck NOT running remove the servo horn back off the idle screw to minimum and set the horn on so the throttle slide is closed reset the idle gap to 1mm on it so it maintains the 1mm or so gap even when you hit the brakes... it may take a bit of fiddling to get it where it needs to be, but once done it should stop the stalling, I believe there are directions in the manual if it did in fact come with one.....

You just need to turn you idle stop screw clockwise to meet up with where it is at when the electronics are on, alot of rtr kits have this issue right out of the box, hopefully this helps good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Back