Adjust steering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Hi just bought the savage x 4.6. I had some problems with the spur gear melting twice on the first tank of gas. I can't find the manual can change the steering so when I turn forward it turns right instead of left and vice versa?

@Tyler, on your transmitter there should be a reverse switch that will allow you to correct the opposite steering issue.

Thanx Woodie I found the book and that was exactly what I did and it works fine now thanx again

If your spur gear is "melting" then your mesh isn't right. The spur and clutch bell should be perfectly in line with little play between them. Also, since I assume you are using a plastic spur gear, it might be time to upgrade to a metal one.

Robinson Racing is a popular choice:
http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/savage46.html

I didnt know savage comes with a plastic gear. Is that the rtr version? How long would that last even if you had the mesh set up correctly?

ya they did, my sons rtr savage x 4.6 had a plastic gear in it from the box.... didnt last too long either as I remember, I believe it got all the teeth ripped off it on like the 2nd tank of fuel....

They last plenty long enough if you set the mesh right. You want to set the mesh extremely tight where it binds a lot, and then back it off gradually until it stops binding then set it there and make sure the engine mount is nice and tight so it does not move at all.
Binding is also a major cause of toasting spurs, make sure theres no binding anywhere in the drivetrain.
Try this: drive the truck around for a few minutes relatively hard (jumps, bashing, etc)
Then check the clutchbell to see if it is hot. If it is scalding hot and you cant put your finger on it then something is probably not right.

When I was a beginner in the rc world I had a t maxx and experienced the motor sliding away from the spur gear many times. That would toast the gear and end the day. The whole motor mount would slide because the four screws were not tight enough. This could happen on a savage as well. Make sure you use threadlocker too.

Latest posts

Members online

Back