A little late? (Savage 21 to Brushless)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadycuz

Am I too old to own my first savage? Is it too late to convert it? Never. :rolleyes:

I haven't run 1/8 scale in a while, which is kinda funny because that is where I started. I then moved to 1/10 and then 1/16. The cars are cheaper, the parts are cheaper and I find I can run them in more spaces.

That was on the east coast though. I moved out west to Las Vegas and this desert beats my little 1/16ths to death. They bounce around like pinballs. I started looking around on ebay and craigslist for something bigger. Now to be honest I'm a truggy guy. I own a 1/16th Revo and 1/16th LOSI mini eight-t. I'm also a cheap-o :ROFLMAO:, so I was looking for something old and beat up that I could get for cheap and fix up.

On June 16th I found some rollers on craigslist and for $100 I owned an HPI Money Pit Savage 21.

image-20190616_133225.jpg

Now I did not buy this lot for the Savage. I actually bought it for the buggy. The ad only showed the one roller with motor, the extra chassis was thrown in on the spot. I had already done my research and I knew they made a XT2 Nitro and XT2-E brushless. I also knew the brushless motor mount bolted straight up to that nitro center diff. Converting the buggy was going to be cheap and simple.

I didn't have any plans for the Savage. If it wasn't for the only XT2-E motor mount I could find online being on the other side of the world... and the shipping being 30+ days... and my best friend who did this conversion 6 years ago telling me how easy it is and how many parts there is... You might not be reading this and I might have 400 more dollars in my checking account.

But you are reading this... and I could have bought a working flux for what I put into this conversion so far :eek:... so let us get into it already?

The first thing I did was disassemble, clean and oil everything. I'm hoping I can make $60 bucks off the nitro stuff from all the vehicles, but probably not. ^

I first noticed that this thing was missing about half its screws, kinds like its new owner. I didn't really know how to convert this thing. I knew it wouldn't be as simple as the buggies. My friend insisted I buy a Kershaw kit like he did... that's when the trouble started. I couldn't find a motor mount for this thing. Not new, not used. Nothing. I started to panic, which is odd now that I think about it, because it was just a $30 dollar roller. I could have cleaned it and sold it on ebay for double that. But I had already gotten this idea in my head that I would have a brushless Savage. :banghead:

I also wanted to use this guide... to bad I didn't read the last page.
The conversion cost me about as much as a Flux. I could have just gone down to my LHS and bought one
:sick:

So I looked for like an hour a day for the next day or two and out of nowhere someone posted an early Kershaw kit. Motor mount and battery boxes used ( Like this one ). Without thinking about if I should... I bought and then I bought some more...

Next thing I know my table looks like this. ^

The first thing I started to do is rebuild that transmission with hardened gears. That is where we hit our next roadblock. My transmission has the reverse module and I'm currently waiting on the shaft to "delete it". Also my transmission is not the same as in that guide. So that idler shaft doesn't fit my case. I got it to work but with some modifications. It's late and I didn't take pictures of the transmission. When I remove the reverse module I will take some pictures of the finished transmission and of the modification needed. The ETA on the parts is July 1st at the earliest.

Today while I had time I removed the LFT shafts on the one side of the vehicle and switched them with right-hand threaded ones. I then removed the bearings for all hubs and gave them a nice cleaning and oiling. Then I reassembled with 17mm hexes off of a flux. Looking back now I wish I had bought adapters with a bit of extension (5 or 5mm), but I had thought I was going to run a wide offset wheel. Turns out it can be a challenge to get the wheel and tire combo you want.

don't go crazy on the motor or batteries or the diffs will not like it. They are weak 2 bevel gear plastic cup diffs which didn't really last long with nitro power.

The money pit is hungry, must feed it ;).

Do you have a recommendation? I ordered a castle 1515 and a Hobbywing 150Amp ESC. Wasn't sure if I would put it in a buggy or the Savage.

I honestly don't want anything crazy. I just wanna do some bashing but I don't feel like I need the backflipping in place kinda power or real crazy speeds. My mini Revo is like this insane power stock. I prefer to drive the much more mannered LOSI mini 8-t instead.

I was going to run 4S but maybe I should run less? I was also going to turn down the acceleration rate on the ESC and probably throw in an AVC Receiver.

I was going to start on rebuilding but my screw kit from R/C Raven only has fine thread screws. I will most likely have to make a list of the screws I need and visit a hardware store. This thing is missing half it's screws.

Not sure on motor or ESC, I'm still a nitro guy. For the diffs you can build them up with the BP ring and pinion with Vorza cups and proper shimming. Got to do front and back because the ratio will change with the BP gears. The Vorza cups are plastic but have a metal insert where the bearing rides and use a 8x16 bearing. The 10x16 stock bearings are the weak link. That with Flux out drives and dog bones should make the drivetrain tough enough for 4s

As a fellow savage owner that has converted a savage x to brushless. I went with the castle creations monster mamba x esc and motor combo. I ran it on 6s and that thing was crazy. Also you need to convert your tranny from a 2 or 3 speed to a single speed. Due to as the batteries start to die the voltage drop will start to affect your shift points.

Not dead. Worked on it a few times in the last month or so. Just didn't upload the pictures.

Finally got the hardened gears installed and the transmission back together. Its now a single speed flux transmission I think.

moly

Looking at it now it looks like spur is backward in the picture.

I went to hook up the steering servo and noticed it didn't have a servo saver. Another delay as I wait on the mail man.

This is the current hold up. This is how far I have to sit this thing out in order to get it to align with the spur correctly.

The flange area where the grub screw is located is making contact with the motor shaft but most of the teeth section is floating unsupported. Not sure it's a good idea to run it like this.

It doesn't need to be this far out, but I do need to find a way to space it about 1/4 of an inch or so. Any Ideas?

EDIT:

Went downstairs to see if I had put that thing on backwards, turns out it has grooves on each side for slipper pads and one side is offset a good amount. Flipped it over and all is good now. :woot:

Went with a setup from dollar hobbys. Can't remember what I made for motor and esc but I think it was $50 each.

The pinion is now almost completely resting on the motor shaft. I got about 95% overlap on the gears and 100% depending on where the spur is because it has a bit of play in it. Should shim it, but I really don't want to disassemble it right now. Will try it for a while, it will be on the to-do list the next time this thing is apart. Actually was reading about a center diff conversion that was posted above, that would probably be next.

Last edited:

Center roll bar/handle was hard to find. Also got the body posts installed.

So I need 8mm bullet connectors for the ESC to match the motor. I will need to tape/strap down the electronics and the wiring. Then I need to mount the battery trays and buy the batteries. Then it will be ready to bash. Tomorrow I will probably throw an ESC and battery from another of my 1/8 machines and take it out for a spin on the street, just to make sure the gears aren't trying to eat each other.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back